Dodgers edge Padres; Greinke injured in brawlApr 12, 2013 - 6:44 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Juan Uribe smacked a go-ahead, pinch-hit solo homer in the eighth inning to give the Los Angeles Dodgers a hard-fought 3-2 victory over the San Diego Padres on Thursday in the rubber match of a three- game set.
Adrian Gonzalez added a two-run home run and A.J. Ellis went 3-for-4 for the Dodgers.
The news got much worse Los Angeles after starter Zack Greinke, who left the game in the sixth inning after a bench-clearing brawl, was revealed to have a fractured left collarbone.
The righty pitcher collided with San Diego's Carlos Quentin following the hit- by-pitch on Quentin's upper back. Both clubs were involved in a tussle which resulted in a handful of players being ejected.
Greinke gave up two runs on five hits and one walk while striking out four batters over five-plus innings.
"I never hit him on purpose," Greinke said after the game." He always seem to think I'm hitting him on purpose, but that's not the case."
Matt Guerrier (1-0) faced just one batter but picked up the win, while Kenley Jansen tossed a perfect ninth to secure the victory and earn his first save of the season.
Yonder Alonso had two hits and drove in one run for the Padres, who saw starter Jason Marquis last five innings and allow two runs on seven hits while walking four and striking out five. Luke Gregerson (1-1) picked up the loss after giving up Uribe's blast.
With the game tied 2-2 in the eighth, Uribe pinch-hit for Guerrier and came up huge with a solo shot that landed just over the right-field wall on a full count offering to make it 3-2.
With the Padres trailing 2-1 in the sixth, a bench-clearing brawl broke out as a result of Quentin getting hit by Greinke. After a 10-plus minutes delay, play resumed.
"It's an unfortunate situation," Quentin said after the game. "Myself and Greinke have a history that dates back a few years."
The brawl added some spark, as Chris Capuano, who replaced Greinke, threw a wild pitch. The next batter, Alonso, lined a shot into center, scoring Alexi Amarista, who replaced Quentin, to make it 2-2.
With two outs in the first inning, Gonzalez crushed a 2-0 pitch over the right-field wall, plating Carl Crawford, who singled to lead off the game. It was Gonzalez's first homer of the year and first in 71 appearances at the plate dating back to last season.
San Diego rallied with two down in the fourth to make it a 2-1 game as Jedd Gyorko walked and advanced to third on a single before scoring easily on a wild pitch from Greinke.
Greinke reached 1,500 career innings pitched ... Los Angeles outfielder Andre Either went 1-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 11 games.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
SAN DIEGO: 2
Apr 12 1:48 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Juan Uribe one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 3, Padres 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 12 1:10 AM
- Yonder Alonso single to center scored pinch-runner Alexi Amarista with none out. Runner on first and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 12 12:28 AM
- Nick Hundley advances to second and Jedd Gyorko scored on a Zack Greinke wild pitch with two out. Runner on second and Cameron Maybin at the plate.
Dodgers 2, Padres 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 11 11:37 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Carl Crawford. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 2, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 11 10:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 11 10:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21