Harper, Zimmerman leads Nats to sweep of ChiSoxApr 12, 2013 - 4:50 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Bryce Harper went 2-for-3 with two RBI and scored twice, and Ryan Zimmerman added a double and a pair of RBI as the Washington Nationals completed a three-game sweep of the Chicago White Sox with a 7-4 win on Thursday.
Adam LaRoche and Ian Desmond added one RBI apiece, while Denard Span and Jayson Werth both finished with two hits and scored twice for the Nationals, who improved to 7-2 this season.
Dan Haren (1-1) allowed three runs on 10 hits over five innings to earn the win. He struck out five and did not walk a batter.
"I think I threw the ball better than the line score would (indicate), but the conditions weren't great out there. The most important thing is we won the game," Haren said.
Rafael Soriano stranded a runner in the ninth to earn his fifth save of the season.
Alejandro De Aza had two hits, an RBI and scored once for the White Sox, who will open a three-game set in Cleveland on Friday. Adam Dunn added an RBI double.
Dylan Axelrod (0-1) allowed six runs on seven hits over 3 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"You don't get many breaks (in the Nationals' lineup)," Axelrod said.
Washington jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first. Werth singled, stole second and moved to third on a throwing error by Chicago catcher Tyler Flowers. After Zimmerman drew a walk, LaRoche roped a single to left field to score Werth.
Chicago countered with a run of its own in the second to knot the game at 1-1. Paul Konerko opened the frame with a base hit to left and Conor Gillaspie doubled to put runners at second and third with one out. Flowers followed with a ground out to shortstop, but it was enough to get Konerko across.
The Nats pushed a pair of runs across in the third to take a 3-1 edge. Span reached on a leadoff single and promptly stole second base before coming around on Harper's base hit to center. Back-to-back walks then loaded the bases for Desmond, who plated Harper with a sacrifice fly to center field.
The White Sox, though, added two more runs in the fourth to pull even once again. With runners on second and third, De Aza singled to right field to plate Gillaspie. Jeff Keppinger followed with a base hit to left that brought Axelrod around.
Washington responded with three runs in the home half to take a 6-3 edge. With Haren on third, Axelrod delivered a wild pitch that allowed the pitcher to score easily. Axelrod then walked Harper to put two runners on, and Zimmerman followed with a bases-clearing double to right field.
Dunn's double in the sixth scored De Aza to make it 6-4, and Harper's RBI single in the eighth accounted for the final margin.
Washington Wizards guard John Wall threw out the game's first pitch ... Desmond has recorded a hit in six straight games ... Chicago went just 3- for-13 with runners in scoring position ... Rios extended his hitting streak to nine games, tied with Baltimore's Adam Jones for the longest in the majors.
- CHICAGO: 4
Apr 11 10:24 PM
- Bryce Harper single to right scored Denard Span with two out. On the play, Jayson Werth thrown out at third to end the inning.
White Sox 4, Nationals 7 End 8Apr 11 10:10 PM
- Adam Dunn double to left scored Alejandro De Aza with two out. On the play, Alex Rios advances to third. Runners on second and third and Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 4, Nationals 6 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 11 9:23 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman double to right scored Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper with two out. Runner on second and Adam LaRoche due up.
White Sox 3, Nationals 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 11 8:53 PM
- Dan Haren scored on Dylan Axelrod's wild pitch with two out. On the play, Jayson Werth advances to second. Runner on second and Bryce Harper at the plate.
White Sox 3, Nationals 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 11 8:50 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to left scored Dylan Axelrod with one out. On the play, Alejandro De Aza advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 3, Nationals 3 Top 4, 1 OutApr 11 8:28 PM
- Alejandro De Aza single to right scored Conor Gillaspie with one out. On the play, Dylan Axelrod advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jeff Keppinger due up.
White Sox 2, Nationals 3 Top 4, 1 OutApr 11 8:26 PM
- Ian Desmond sacrifice fly to center scored Bryce Harper with two out. On the play, Ryan Zimmerman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Danny Espinosa due up.
White Sox 1, Nationals 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 11 8:17 PM
- Bryce Harper single to right scored Denard Span with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
White Sox 1, Nationals 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 11 8:10 PM
- Tyler Flowers ground out short to first scored Paul Konerko with two out. On the play, Conor Gillaspie advances to third. Runner on third and Dylan Axelrod due up.
White Sox 1, Nationals 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 11 7:42 PM
- Adam LaRoche single to left scored Jayson Werth with two out. On the play, Ryan Zimmerman advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ian Desmond due up.
White Sox 0, Nationals 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 11 7:32 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 11 7:05 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22