Fowler, Rutledge help Rockies rally past PadresApr 13, 2013 - 7:32 AM
The Rockies erased a two-run deficit in the eighth, capitalizing on a costly San Diego error, then Fowler and Rutledge took Padres closer Huston Street (0-1) deep in the next frame.
Fowler, who also homered in the fifth, broke a 5-5 tie with a blast to right field. Rutledge then cleared the wall in left with a line-drive shot.
"I am just going up there looking for good pitches to drive," Fowler said. "That first one, I thought that's way back and it barely cleared the fence. That second one, I really thought I got it."
San Diego went 1-2-3 in the bottom of the ninth, with Rafael Betancourt earning his fourth save of the season. The late power surge made a winner out of Rex Brothers (1-0).
Todd Helton collected three hits and knocked in a run for the Rockies, who posted a three-game sweep of the Padres last weekend in Denver to extend their winning streak to five games. Colorado was then swept in three games at San Francisco.
Yonder Alonso hit a two-run homer and Will Venable also had two RBI for San Diego, which has won only two of its first 10 games.
"Anytime you have a loss, it's tough," Alonso admitted. "It's definitely very disappointing. We have to play better."
The Padres took the field one day after taking part in an intense bench- clearing brawl. San Diego outfielder Carlos Quentin incited the fracas when he charged the mound after being hit by a pitch thrown by the Dodgers' Zack Greinke.
As a result, Quentin received an eight-game suspension and was fined an undisclosed amount by the league. Quentin played Friday night after appealing the suspension but wasn't much of a factor, going 0-for-4.
The Padres trailed 2-0 before coming to the plate, as the first six Colorado batters reached base against starting pitcher Tyson Ross to start the game.
A Troy Tulowitzki single plated Rutledge and Carlos Gonzalez scored on Michael Cuddyer's base hit. With the bases loaded and one out, Ross avoided further damage by striking out both Wilin Rosario and Chris Nelson.
San Diego tied things up in the bottom of the first on Alonso's blast to center off Colorado starter Jon Garland.
Fowler put the Rockies back on top in the fifth, but the Padres countered in the home half of the frame as Nick Hundley led off with a double and scored on Venable's single.
Hundley and Venable each knocked in a run in the seventh to give San Diego a 5-3 lead.
Colorado, however, responded in the eighth against Luke Gregerson. With a man on first and one out, Cuddyer reached on an error by third baseman Jedd Gyorko. Helton followed with an RBI double and Cuddyer scored the tying run on a groundout by Rosario.
Garland gave up three runs on five hits in six innings ... Ross allowed three runs on five hits, walked three and struck out eight in 5 1/3 innings ... The Padres selected the contract of pitcher Thad Weber from Triple-A Tucson and designated infielder Cody Ransom for assignment.
- COLORADO: 7
SAN DIEGO: 5
Apr 13 1:19 AM
- Josh Rutledge one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 7, Padres 5 Top 9, 1 OutApr 13 1:06 AM
- Dexter Fowler one-out, solo Home Run 2 (6) to right center. Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 6, Padres 5 Top 9, 1 OutApr 13 1:04 AM
- Wilin Rosario ground out to first scored Michael Cuddyer. On the play, Todd Helton advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 5 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 13 12:47 AM
- Todd Helton double to right scored Troy Tulowitzki. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 4, Padres 5 Top 8, 1 OutApr 13 12:46 AM
- Will Venable single to right scored Nick Hundley. Runner on first with one out and Dale Thayer due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 5 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 13 12:27 AM
- Nick Hundley double to left scored Jedd Gyorko. On the play, Nick Hundley advances to third on the throw. Runner on third with one out and Will Venable due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 4 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 13 12:25 AM
- Will Venable single to right scored Nick Hundley. On the play, Will Venable thrown out at second on the throw. None on with one out and Tyson Ross due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 3 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 12 11:43 PM
- Dexter Fowler one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 12 11:30 PM
- Yonder Alonso one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Chris Denorfia. Carlos Quentin due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 12 10:40 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to short, deflected by center fielder scored Carlos Gonzalez. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 12 10:25 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to short scored Josh Rutledge. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 12 10:21 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 12 10:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22