Pirates clip Reds thanks to McCutchen HRApr 13, 2013 - 5:28 AM
McCutchen finished with two hits and three RBI, while Neil Walker drove in a pair of runs for the Pirates, who have won three of four.
Tony Watson (1-0) gave up two runs in the top of the seventh, but still picked up the win in relief. Jason Grilli stranded two in the ninth to close out the game and earn his fourth save.
Brandon Phillips homered twice and Devin Mesoraco knocked in two runs for the Reds, losers of three straight games.
J.J. Hoover (0-1) was charged with the loss after giving up McCutchen's deciding blast while recording only one out in the seventh.
"He one of the best players in the league," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of McCutchen.
McCutchen greeted Hoover rudely, as his second home run of the year just cleared the wall in left to give the Pirates a 6-5 edge.
"I was able to get a good pitch and hit it out," McCutchen said simply.
Mark Melancon turned in a placid eighth inning, but Grilli made it tough on himself in the ninth.
He gave up a one-out single to Shin-Soo Choo, then Chris Heisey reached first on a fielder's choice ahead of a walk to Joey Votto which left two on. However, Phillips fanned swinging to end the game.
Russell Martin's two-out RBI single in the home first put the Bucs on the board, but a leadoff solo shot from Phillips in the second evened the game.
Pittsburgh plated four in the home half, thanks to consecutive two-run singles by Walker and McCutchen, to take a 5-1 lead.
In the Cincinnati fourth, Jay Bruce hit a leadoff single, moved up on a Jack Hannahan base hit and later crossed the plate on a Mesoraco groundout.
Mesoraco's double in the sixth plated Zack Cozart to pull the Reds within 5-3, then a one-out walk to Heisey in the seventh preceded a two-run blast from Phillips off Watson which tied the game.
Bucs starter A.J. Burnett allowed six hits and three runs with eight strikeouts and three walks over six innings. Reds counterpart Mike Leake also lasted six frames, giving up 10 hits and five runs ... Pirates left fielder and leadoff hitter Starling Marte extended his streak of multi-hit games to six straight, going 12-for-25 in that span, and has reached base safely in nine of Pittsburgh's first 10 games ... Prior to the contest, the Bucs recalled pitcher Bryan Morris from Triple-A Indianapolis and designated pitcher Chris Leroux for assignment.
- CINCINNATI: 5
Apr 12 10:26 PM
- Andrew McCutchen lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Garrett Jones due up.
Reds 5, Pirates 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 12 9:38 PM
- Brandon Phillips two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (4) to center scored Chris Heisey. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 5, Pirates 5 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 12 9:32 PM
- Devin Mesoraco double to left center scored Zack Cozart with two outs. Runner on second and Mike Leake due up.
Reds 3, Pirates 5 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 12 9:03 PM
- Devin Mesoraco ground out third to first scored Jay Bruce with two outs. Runner on second and Mike Leake due up.
Reds 2, Pirates 5 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 12 8:26 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to left scored Starling Marte and Neil Walker with one out. Runner on first and Garrett Jones due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 5 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 12 7:57 PM
- Neil Walker single to center scored Travis Snider and Clint Barmes with one out. On the play, Starling Marte advances to third and Neil Walker advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 3 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 12 7:56 PM
- Brandon Phillips lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 1 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 12 7:34 PM
- Russell Martin single to left scored Neil Walker with two outs. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Reds 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 12 7:28 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 12 7:10 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21