Diamondbacks blank DodgersApr 13, 2013 - 6:35 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Patrick Corbin fired six solid innings of three-hit ball, as the Arizona Diamondbacks blanked the Los Angeles Dodgers, 3-0, on Friday in the opener of a three-game set at Chase Field.
Corbin (2-0) fanned four and walked three in the start, while Brad Ziegler and David Hernandez each tossed a inning in relief. J.J. Putz kept the Dodgers off the board in the ninth to secure his second save of the season.
"He was throwing the ball really well," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said of Corbin. "He had great command. He was solid the whole game and threw the ball very well."
Martin Prado knocked in a run and registered two of Arizona's six hits, while Paul Goldschmidt added an RBI for the Diamondbacks, who have won two straight.
The Dodgers, meanwhile, were coming off a series victory over the Padres which included a bench-clearing brawl in Thursday's finale after LA starter Zack Greinke plunked San Diego outfielder Carlos Quentin in the sixth inning.
Los Angeles, which learned Friday that Greinke will miss eight weeks with a broken collarbone, managed just six hits and left 10 men on base against the Arizona pitching staff.
Clayton Kershaw (2-1) was a tough-luck loser, as the lanky left-hander, who had spun 16.0 scoreless innings over his first two starts, was charged with all three runs on six hits with three walks and nine strikeouts over 7 1/3 frames.
"It was a battle for me tonight," Kershaw admitted. "They did a good job, worked some counts and got my pitch count up a little bit. It was just a frustrating night."
After the Dodgers failed to score with the bases loaded and two outs in the top of the fourth, the Diamondbacks were able to break through in the bottom half on their first opportunity with runners in scoring position.
Gerardo Parra started the frame with a single before making his way to third on Prado's line-drive base hit into left-center field.
Kershaw was able to limit the damage, though, as the southpaw got Goldschmidt to ground into a double-play, which scored Parra.
Neither offense put much together from there until the eighth, when a Matt Kemp single and an Adrian Gonzalez walk found the Dodgers with runners on the corners and one out.
Hernandez pitched his way out of trouble, however, as he struck out pinch- hitter Carl Crawford and got Andre Ethier to ground out to end the frame.
Arizona then added a pair of insurance runs in the bottom half, as Kershaw issued back-to-back one-out singles before walking Parra to load the bases.
Shawn Tolleson took over for Kershaw and promptly walked the only two hitters he faced to chase home two runs and give the Diamondbacks a 3-0 lead.
Putz ran into trouble in the ninth after Nick Punto smacked a one-out single and Skip Schumaker walked, but the Arizona right-hander got Jerry Hairston to ground into a game-ending double play to close out the victory.
Kershaw now has 999 career strikeouts ... Hairston received a one-game suspension for his action's during Thursday's brawl that he has appealed ... Arizona went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Apr 13 12:38 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt walked scoring A.J. Pollock with one out. Bases loaded and Miguel Montero due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 13 12:19 AM
- Martin Prado walked scoring Jason Kubel with one out. Bases loaded and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 13 12:15 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Gerardo Parra with two out. Martin Prado out at second. None on and Miguel Montero due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 12 10:54 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 12 9:41 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21