Ryu shines as Dodgers hold off DiamondbacksApr 14, 2013 - 5:22 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Hyun-Jin Ryu tallied his 100th professional win and helped the Los Angeles Dodgers end their slide at Chase Field.
Ryu struck out nine over six-plus innings and recorded his first three MLB hits in the Los Angeles Dodgers' 7-5 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the middle test of a three-game set.
Ryu (2-1) surrendered three runs on six hits and a walk for the Dodgers, who had dropped 11 of their previous 13 meetings against the Diamondbacks.
The 26-year-old southpaw, who had spent the previous seven seasons with the Hanwha Eagles of the Korean Baseball Organization, has fanned 20 over his first 18 2/3 innings -- three starts -- while sporting a 2.89 ERA.
"He works quick, he hits the corners, mixes speeds, he does a great job, he's been doing an incredible job," Adrian Gonzalez said of Ryu.
Gonzalez smacked a solo homer among his three hits and two RBI in the win.
Ian Kennedy (1-1) had won all three of his previous home starts against the Dodgers and tossed 13 2/3 scoreless innings over his last two home starts against them coming in, but he was shelled for six runs on 10 hits and four walks over 5 2/3 frames for Arizona, which had won six of its previous eight contests.
After Arizona finally got on the board in the home fifth on A.J. Pollock's one-out, RBI groundout to cut the deficit to 3-1, the Dodgers responded with three two-out runs in the top of the sixth to surge seemingly comfortably ahead.
Ryu had a single to right before Carl Crawford slapped a double down the right-field line. Skip Schumaker walked to load the bases and Matt Kemp came up next and singled through the hole on the left side to plate Ryu and Crawford. Schumaker scored on Gonzalez's single to right and make it 6-1.
"The big inning was the sixth inning," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "He (Kennedy) walked four guys, that's uncharacteristic of him, we couldn't put them away when we needed to put them away."
The Diamondbacks, though, fought back with a pair of runs in each of the seventh and eighth frames.
Consecutive base hits by Alfredo Marte and Josh Wilson to start the seventh knocked Ryu out of the game. Ronald Belisario toed the rubber and surrendered back-to-back pinch-hit, RBI singles to pinch-hitters Eric Hinske and Eric Chavez to trim the margin to 6-3.
Martin Prado launched a leadoff homer to left on Kenley Jansen in the eighth. Miguel Montero singled with one away and after Marte fanned, he scored when pinch-hitter Aaron Hill laced a two-bagger into the left-field corner and bring Arizona within 6-5. But Cody Ross struck out looking to strand Hill at second.
Los Angeles tacked on a run in the ninth as Andre Ethier and Ramon Hernandez belted back-to-back one out doubles off Tony Sipp and Heath Bell, respectively, to up the advantage to 7-5.
Brandon League worked a 1-2-3 bottom half to notch his fourth save of the year.
Earlier, Gonzalez smacked a solo shot to start the fourth, while Schumaker registered an RBI double and Ethier a run-scoring base hit in the fifth to help Los Angeles jump out to a 3-0 edge.
Gonzalez had been 3-for-25 with nine strikeouts in his last six games versus Arizona coming in ... Ethier and Crawford both had two hits ... Los Angeles was 5-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Apr 13 11:41 PM
- Ramon Hernandez double to right scored Andre Ethier. Runner on second with one out and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 7, Diamondbacks 5 Top 9, 1 OutApr 13 11:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Aaron Hill double to left scored Miguel Montero. Runner on second with two out and Cody Ross due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 13 11:16 PM
- Martin Prado lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 13 11:05 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Eric Chavez single to right scored Josh Wilson. On the play, Eric Hinske advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 13 10:45 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Eric Hinske single to right scored Alfredo Marte. On the play, Josh Wilson advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and A.J. Pollock due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 13 10:42 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Skip Schumaker. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 13 10:10 PM
- Matt Kemp single to left scored Hyun-Jin Ryu and Carl Crawford. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 5, Diamondbacks 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 13 10:06 PM
- A.J. Pollock ground out short to first scored Cliff Pennington. None on with two out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 13 9:52 PM
- Andre Ethier single to right scored Skip Schumaker. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 13 9:44 PM
- Skip Schumaker double to left scored Carl Crawford. Runner on second with one out and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 13 9:38 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 13 9:05 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 8:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21