Jay helps Cards take out PiratesApr 16, 2013 - 4:31 AM
After each team scored a run in the first inning, Jay started the Cardinals second inning surge with a two-run double. Allen Craig and Matt Holliday each added two-run doubles in the inning while Carlos Beltran and Yadier Molina also had run-producing hits. Clint Barmes' two-out error proved to be costly for Pittsburgh, who could have escaped the inning trailing by just three runs.
Holliday and Molina had two hits apiece for St. Louis while Allen Craig knocked in three runs. The Cards have won five of their last six contests.
"We really had some good at bats and put some really good swings on balls that were in the zone," Craig said. "When we're putting good at bats together like that, our team does a really good job."
Lance Lynn (2-0) picked up the win despite allowing four runs and seven hits in five innings.
Starling Marte had three hits for Pittsburgh, giving him at least two hits in eight of his last nine games. Neil Walker went 2-for-5 with a home run and pinch-hitter Jose Tabata singled in both of his at-bats.
James McDonald (1-2) lasted just 1 2/3 innings before giving way to the Pirates bullpen, which allowed only two hits in the remaining 7 1/3 innings. McDonald was charged with eight runs - three of which were earned - and eight hits.
"I left the ball up, got behind guys," McDonald said of his outing. "I didn't keep my team in the game today and that's what happens when you make bad pitches, you get hit hard."
Holliday crushed a two-run double to deep center field in the top of the third to give St. Louis a 10-1 lead.
Pittsburgh got three back in the bottom half of the frame on Andrew McCutchen's RBI-double and Walker's two-run shot.
Marte and Michael McKenry added RBI singles in the eighth inning off of Mike Rzepczynski to round out the scoring.
Cardinals hitters struck out just twice ... Marte is on a nine-game hitting streak ... Pittsburgh out-hit St. Louis, 12-10 ... Pirates reliever Bryan Morris made his season debut with three no-hit innings out of the bullpen.
- ST. LOUIS: 10
Apr 15 10:28 PM
- Starling Marte single to left scored Russell Martin with one out. On the play, Michael McKenry advances to second. Runners on first and second and Travis Snider due up.
Cardinals 10, Pirates 6 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 15 10:02 PM
- Michael McKenry single to right scored Jose Tabata with one out. On the play, Russell Martin advances to second. Runners on first and second and Starling Marte due up.
Cardinals 10, Pirates 5 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 15 10:01 PM
- Neil Walker two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Andrew McCutchen. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Cardinals 10, Pirates 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 15 8:26 PM
- Andrew McCutchen double to left scored Travis Snider with one out. Runner on second and Garrett Jones due up.
Cardinals 10, Pirates 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 15 8:22 PM
- Matt Holliday double to right scored Lance Lynn and Jon Jay with two out. Runner on second and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 10, Pirates 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 15 8:15 PM
- Yadier Molina double to right scored Carlos Beltran with two out. Runner on second and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 8, Pirates 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 15 7:51 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to right scored Allen Craig with two out. Runner on first and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 7, Pirates 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 15 7:51 PM
- Allen Craig double to center scored Matt Carpenter and Matt Holliday with two out. Runner on second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 6, Pirates 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 15 7:49 PM
- Matt Holliday reached first on Clint Barmes's throwing error scored Jon Jay with two out. On the play, Matt Carpenter advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 4, Pirates 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 15 7:48 PM
- Jon Jay double to right scored David Freese and Pete Kozma with two out. Runner on second and Matt Carpenter due up.
Cardinals 3, Pirates 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 15 7:40 PM
- Garrett Jones single to center scored Starling Marte with one out. On the play, Travis Snider advances to second. Runners on first and second and Neil Walker due up.
Cardinals 1, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 15 7:25 PM
- Allen Craig grounded into a fielder's choice to third scored Jon Jay with two out. Matt Carpenter out at third. Runner on first with two out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 15 7:16 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 15 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21