Zimmerman powers Nats over MarlinsApr 16, 2013 - 3:29 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Ryan Zimmerman hit a two-run homer and had four RBI as the Washington Nationals defeated the Miami Marlins, 10-3, in a National League East matchup on Monday.
Tyler Moore drove in three runs, while Ian Desmond went 4-for-5 and scored twice for the Nationals, who saw starter Jordan Zimmermann (3-0) pitch a complete game, allowing three runs on six hits and a walk.
"We gained some early runs and it's a lot easier to pitch when you got runs early in the game," said Zimmermann. "And I was just pounding it, pounding the strike zone with the fastball."
Juan Pierre, Chris Coghlan and Rob Brantly drove in a run apiece for the Marlins, who were without slugger Giancarlo Stanton for the fourth straight game. Starter Wade LeBlanc (0-3) lasted just 3 2/3 innings, surrendering seven runs on nine hits and two walks.
"It looked like to me he just missed up in the zone early in the game," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond. "Against an offense and a team like this, you got to keep the ball down and you got to move and change speeds and tonight just wasn't his night."
Zimmerman scored early in the first for the Nationals. After singles by Span and Werth, Harper then drew a walk. Zimmerman singled to center, plating Span and Werth. However, Harper was thrown out at third. Desmond then knocked a double to bring Zimmerman to third and Moore singled, scoring both runners to clear the bases and make it 4-0.
In the third, Desmond hit his second double. Moore doubled as well to bring Desmond home. Steve Lombardozzi was the next to bat and he also doubled, scoring Moore which made it 6-0.
Werth singled in the fourth, setting up Zimmerman's two-run shot two batters later, and the Nationals led 8-0.
Span had a two-RBI single in the fifth. After singles by Lombardozzi and Kurt Suzuki, Zimmermann laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance the runners, setting it up for Span.
Miami finally got on the board in the sixth. Donovan Solano was hit by a pitch with one out. Pitcher John Maine bunted to bring Solano to second. Pierre than doubled, scoring Solano. Coghlan followed with a single and brought Pierre home.
The Marlins' final score was in the seventh. After a leadoff double by Greg Dobbs and a single by Justin Ruggiano, Brantly singled to right, scoring Dobbs.
Zimmermann forced three straight ground outs in the ninth to end the game.
Washington was 5-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Lombardozzi recorded six putouts ... Suzuki went 2-for-3 with a walk and raised his batting average to .368 this season ... Desmond has six doubles this season ... The Nationals were 3-6 at Marlins Park last season, their worst road record against any division opponent.
- WASHINGTON: 10
Apr 15 9:38 PM
- Rob Brantly singled to right scored Greg Dobbs. On the play, Justin Ruggiano advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Nationals 10, Marlins 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 15 9:03 PM
- Chris Coghlan singled to right scored Juan Pierre. Runner on first with two outs and Placido Polanco due up.
Nationals 10, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 15 8:49 PM
- Juan Pierre doubled to left scored Donovan Solano. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Coghlan due up.
Nationals 10, Marlins 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 15 8:49 PM
- Denard Span singled to center scored Steve Lombardozzi and Kurt Suzuki. Denard Span out at second on the play, none on with two outs and Jayson Werth due up.
Nationals 10, Marlins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 15 8:31 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jayson Werth. Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 8, Marlins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 15 8:14 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi doubled to left scored Tyler Moore. Runner on second with two outs and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Nationals 6, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 15 7:56 PM
- Tyler Moore doubled to center scored Ian Desmond. Runner on second with two outs and Steve Lombardozzi due up.
Nationals 5, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 15 7:55 PM
- Tyler Moore singled to left scored Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond. Runner on first with one out and Steve Lombardozzi due up.
Nationals 4, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 15 7:24 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman singled to center scored Denard Span and Jayson Werth. On the play, Bryce Harper out at third. Runner on first with one out and Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 15 7:21 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 15 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21