Gentry's glove helps Rangers down CubsApr 17, 2013 - 5:57 AM
"In that situation unless you're sure you can catch it, you don't do something like that," said Gentry. "As I got closer to the ball it kept hanging there so I knew I had a play on it."
The Rangers led 4-0 with two outs in the ninth inning before Nate Schierholtz ripped a pinch-hit, two-run double to left with the bases loaded, plating two runs. Joe Nathan, who did not start the inning but entered when Michael Kirkman allowed two baserunners, then hit Welington Castillo in the foot to re-load the bases. Finally on a 2-2 count, Barney, who was making his season debut, ripped a line drive to center field only to be robbed by Gentry. Nathan recorded his fifth save of the season.
Derek Holland (1-1) tossed seven shutout innings and Adrian Beltre belted his second home run of the season for Texas, which has won three of its last four outings. Jeff Baker had two hits and an RBI for his first multi-hit game of the campaign.
Holland allowed just two hits and struck out six. He also laid down a sacrifice bunt in the third inning, his first since 2009.
"He just kept making pitches," praised manager Ron Washington. "He was able to get us through seven."
Alfonso Soriano had two hits to pace Chicago, while Travis Wood went 7 1/3 strong innings, yielding just two runs and five hits.
The Rangers broke a 0-0 tie in the fourth inning when Baker ripped a double to deep center field, scoring Beltre.
Wood was lifted after walking Ian Kinsler with one away in the eighth. Shawn Camp, who surrendered the game-winning balk on Sunday afternoon against San Francisco, entered and allowed Kinsler to score on a poor pickoff attempt over to first base. He then gave up a two-run jack to Beltre, putting Chicago in a 4-0 hole.
Starlin Castro extended his hitting streak to nine games with a flare to right field to lead off the ninth inning.
Elvis Andrus went 2-for-4 with a run scored ... Tanner Scheppers pitched a scoreless eighth inning for Texas and has not allowed a run in 7 1/3 innings of work this season ... Both teams left five men on base.
- TEXAS: 4
Apr 16 10:57 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nate Schierholtz double to left scored Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo with two out. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to third. Runners on second and third and Welington Castillo due up.
Rangers 4, Cubs 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 16 10:50 PM
- Adrian Beltre one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left center scored Elvis Andrus. Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 4, Cubs 0 Top 8, 1 OutApr 16 10:11 PM
- Ian Kinsler scored on Shawn Camp's pickoff attempt throwing error with one out. Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runner on third and Adrian Beltre at the plate.
Rangers 2, Cubs 0 Top 8, 1 OutApr 16 10:10 PM
- Jeff Baker double to left center scored Adrian Beltre with two out. Runner on second and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 1, Cubs 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 16 9:08 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22