Pacheco pushes Rockies past Mets to complete sweep of twinbillApr 17, 2013 - 6:27 AM
With two outs and runners on second and third, Pacheco hit a blooper off Greg Burke (0-1) to shallow right and brought Carlos Gonzalez home to end the game.
Pacheco and Yorvit Torrealba drove in two runs apiece, while Gonzalez, Michael Cuddyer and Chris Nelson each had an RBI for the Rockies, who won the first game of the double-header, 8-4.
Rockies starter Jeff Francis allowed eight runs -- six earned -- on nine hits and four walks over 4 1/3 innings. Rafael Betancourt (1-0) picked up the win with a scoreless 10th inning.
Marlon Byrd knocked in three runs while Ruben Tejada had two RBI for the Mets, who used eight pitchers in the game. Aaron Laffey got the start, giving up two runs on four hits and three walks in four innings.
Gonzalez drove in the first run of the game, a sacrifice fly that scored Eric Young Jr in the first inning.
The Mets tied the game in the second on a single by Tejada, scoring Lucas Duda.
In the third, Collin Cowgill scored on a bad pickoff attempt by Torrealba. With the error, Daniel Murphy, who had doubled to right, was able to advance to third. After David Wright was walked, Byrd hit a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Murphy.
Cuddyer grounded into a fielder's choice in the bottom of the inning, but plated Josh Rutledge, who drew a leadoff walk.
The Mets scored five runs in the fifth. Murphy reached first on a fielder's choice and then advanced to second on a wild pitch with Wright at the plate. Wright was then walked and both he and Murphy advanced on another wild pitch with Byrd batting. Byrd then singled to right, bringing both of them home.
After Duda was walked, Justin Turner singled, scoring Byrd. Tejada was next and he singled as well, bringing Duda home. Adam Ottavino came in to replace Francis, but walked Anthony Recker to load the bases. Jordany Valdespin was called to pinch-hit for Laffey and he hit an infield single, plating Turner for an 8-2 lead.
However, the Rockies responded with four runs in the bottom of the inning. With out, Pacheco drew a walk with the bases loaded, plating Rutledge. Nelson was next and he hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Gonzalez. Torrealba then doubled, bringing Cuddyer and Pacheco home, and cut the lead to 8-6.
In the eighth, with runners on second and third, Tejada committed a throwing error that brought Rutledge and Gonzalez home.
Gonzalez was walked with two outs in the 10th. Cuddyer made it to first on yet another error, this time by Wright. He then advanced to second on a fielder's indifference, setting up Pacheco's game-winner.
Tejada recorded his sixth error of the season. He had just 12 in 2012 ... Byrd has 10 RBI this season ... Wright had a stolen base, his fourth of the season ... The Rockies were 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left 12 men on base ... The Mets left 10 men on base ... Francis threw 93 pitches in his outing. The Rockies have yet to have a pitcher throw 100 pitches in a game since June 12 last season, the longest of any team in the majors.
- NEW YORK: 8
Apr 17 1:16 AM
- Jordan Pacheco single to right scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out to end the game.
Mets 8, Rockies 9 Bot 10, 2 OutsApr 17 1:08 AM
- Michael Cuddyer reached first on Ruben Tejada's throwing error that scored Josh Rutledge and Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on first and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Mets 8, Rockies 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 17 12:13 AM
- Yorvit Torrealba double to left scored Michael Cuddyer and Jordan Pacheco with two out. Runner on second and Reid Brignac due up.
Mets 8, Rockies 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 16 11:09 PM
- Chris Nelson sacrifice fly out to right scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runners on first and second and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Mets 8, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 16 11:08 PM
- Jordan Pacheco walk scored Josh Rutledge with one out. Bases loaded and Chris Nelson due up.
Mets 8, Rockies 3 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 16 11:02 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jordany Valdespin single to second scored Justin Turner with one out. On the play, Anthony Recker advanced to second and Ruben Tejada advanced to third. Bases loaded and Collin Cowgill due up.
Mets 8, Rockies 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 16 10:42 PM
- Ruben Tejada single to center scored Lucas Duda with one out. On the play, Justin Turner advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Anthony Recker due up.
Mets 7, Rockies 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 16 10:36 PM
- Justin Turner single to left scored Marlon Byrd with one out. On the play, Lucas Duda advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 6, Rockies 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 16 10:32 PM
- Marlon Byrd single to right scored Daniel Murphy and David Wright with one out. Runner on first and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 5, Rockies 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 16 10:27 PM
- Michael Cuddyer reached first on a fielder's choice, short to second, that scored Josh Rutledge with one out. Carlos Gonzalez out at second. Runner on first and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Mets 3, Rockies 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 16 9:51 PM
- Marlon Byrd sacrifice fly out to center scored Daniel Murphy with one out. Runner on first and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 3, Rockies 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 16 9:40 PM
- Daniel Murphy advanced to third and Collin Cowgill scored on Yorvit Torrealba's throwing error on the pickoff attempt with none out. Runner on third and David Wright at the plate.
Mets 2, Rockies 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 16 9:38 PM
- Ruben Tejada single to right scored Lucas Duda with one out. On the play, Justin Turner advanced to third as Ruben Tejada was thrown out trying to advance to second. Runner on third with two outs and Anthony Recker due up.
Mets 1, Rockies 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 16 9:18 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez sacrifice fly out to center scored Eric Young with one out. Runner on first and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Mets 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 16 8:57 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 8:48 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21