Six-run seventh helps Rockies crush MetsApr 19, 2013 - 12:38 AM
Carlos Gonzalez went 3-for-5 with an RBI to pace a 17-hit attack that carried the Rockies to an 11-3 victory over the New York Mets that extended the team's winning streak to six games.
Troy Tulowitzki, Wilin Rosario and Todd Helton all drove in a pair of runs to help Colorado complete a sweep of the three-game, snow-shortened set, with Jon Garland doing his part on the mound by firing seven strong innings in the sub- freezing temperatures at Coors Field.
Garland (2-0) yielded just two runs on six hits with no walks to notch his third straight quality start to begin the season.
"A place like this, a lineup like that, hold them to three runs. I thought Jon threw the ball very good," Mets manager Terry Collins remarked. "Due to weather, he didn't have a good feel for his curveball, but he made pitches with it, used his changeup effectively."
Tulowitzki singled home Gonzalez in the bottom of the sixth to snap a 2-2 deadlock, before the Rockies erupted for six runs in the seventh to pull away. Tulowitzki and Dexter Fowler added solo homers in the eighth to finish off the rout.
David Wright finished 2-for-3 with two RBI for the Mets, who wrapped up a challenging eight-game road trip with a 3-5 record. Daniel Murphy also had a pair of hits while scoring twice in the loss.
Jon Niese (2-1) worked the first six-plus innings for New York, surrendering three runs on nine hits.
With the score tied at 2-2, Tulowitzki followed Gonzalez's leadoff double in the bottom of the sixth with a hard single to left off Niese that knocked in the go-ahead run. Garland was able to strand Marlon Byrd at second after a one-out double in the next inning, and the Rockies broke the game open against the New York bullpen in their half of the seventh.
After singles by Eric Young and Gonzalez and a walk to Tulowitzki loaded the bases with one out, Rosario delivered a single to center to bring in two runs and Helton plated two more with a double off the right-field scoreboard against Josh Edgin. Chris Nelson and Reid Brignac came through with RBI singles later in the frame to push Colorado's lead to 9-2.
"The game is close, and then it seems like seventh, eighth or ninth [innings], we've been putting crooked numbers up there and putting some games away," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "It's just tough for a pitcher to make quality pitches throughout the lineup."
The Mets did get a run back in the eighth on Ike Davis' two-out single that scored Jordany Valdespin, but Fowler and Tulowitzki homered two batters apart off Jeremy Hefner in the bottom of the inning to account for the final margin.
Garland was touched for a run in the top of the first, with Murphy reaching on a one-out single and taking second on a wild pitch before Wright drove him home with a base hit up the middle. He proceeded to set down 15 of the next 16 New York hitters afterward, however, and his team drew even with a single run of its own in the bottom of the frame.
Fowler got on via a fielder's choice after Young led off with a single, then advanced a base on Niese's wild pitch before coming home when Gonzalez lined an opposite-field single to left.
Josh Rutledge lofted a Niese changeup over the wall in left to send Colorado in front in the fourth, but the Mets tied it in the sixth behind the combo of Murphy and Wright once again.
Murphy ended a string of nine consecutive batters retired by Garland by lacing a double to left, and Wright followed with an infield single that deflected off the Colorado hurler's glove for his second RBI of the day.
The temperature at first pitch was 28 degrees, which tied an Apr. 12, 1997 home matchup against Montreal for the coldest ever in a game in Rockies' history ... Colorado last won six in a row as part of a seven-game streak during April of 2011 ... The loss was New York's seventh in a row to Colorado dating back to Aug. 20 of last season, the longest in team history against the Rockies ... The Mets held outfielder Lucas Duda out of the lineup due to a sore back, while Colorado's Michael Cuddyer was scratched before the game with a minor leg injury ... Murphy finished the road trip with a .406 average (13- of-32), 10 runs scored and seven doubles ... Young ended 3-for-5 for Colorado.
- NEW YORK: 3
Apr 18 6:05 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Wilin Rosario due up.
Mets 3, Rockies 11 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 18 5:55 PM
- Dexter Fowler lead-off Home Run (7) to right center. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Mets 3, Rockies 10 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 18 5:54 PM
- Ike Davis single to center scored Jordany Valdespin with two out. On the play, David Wright advances to second. Runners on first and second with John Buck due up.
Mets 3, Rockies 9 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 18 5:48 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Reid Brignac single to left scored Josh Rutledge with two out. On the play, Chris Nelson advances to second. Runners on first and second with Eric Young due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 18 5:31 PM
- Chris Nelson single to left scored Todd Helton with two out. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to second. Runners on first and second with Jordan Pacheco due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 18 5:30 PM
- Todd Helton double to right center scored Troy Tulowitzki and Wilin Rosario with two out. Runner on second and Josh Rutledge due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 18 5:22 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to right center scored Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runners on first and third with Todd Helton due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 18 5:18 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to left scored Carlos Gonzalez with none out. Runner on first and Wilin Rosario due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 18 4:46 PM
- David Wright single to second scored Daniel Murphy with one out. On the play, David Wright out at second. None on with two outs and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 18 4:40 PM
- Josh Rutledge two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Chris Nelson due up.
Mets 1, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 18 4:17 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to left scored Dexter Fowler with one out. Runner on first and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Mets 1, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 18 3:31 PM
- David Wright single to center scored Daniel Murphy with one out. Runner on first and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 18 3:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 3:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21