Reds pound Marlins to open seriesApr 19, 2013 - 6:29 AM
Zach Cozart drove in two runs while Shin-Soo Choo, Xavier Paul, Devin Mesoraco and Chris Heisey had an RBI apiece for the Reds.
Reds starter Tony Cingrani (1-0), who made his major league debut, allowed the lone run on five hits and three walks and had eight strikeouts in five innings.
Justin Ruggiano's solo shot was the lone run for the Marlins, who saw starter Jose Fernandez (0-1) struggle, surrendering five runs on six hits and three walks over four innings.
"It's not going to be the last time," Fernandez said of his bad outing. "I'll just try to get better."
The Reds first got on the board in the third. Choo hit a two-out single and reached third on a Cozart base hit. With Joey Votto batting, Fernandez threw a wild pitch, allowing Choo score.
Ruggiano homered to leadoff the fourth for the Marlins, tying the game 1-1.
Cincinnati tacked on four runs in the fourth. Bruce had a leadoff single and Todd Frazier was walked. Paul singled to right, scoring Bruce. Mesoraco followed with a sacrifice fly to plate Frazier. Two batters later, Choo doubled, bringing Paul home, and RBI single by Cozart capped the scoring for the inning.
The Reds drove in four more runs in the fifth. With the bases loaded, reliever John Maine threw a wild pitch allowing Brandon Phillips to score.
Mesoraco was intentionally walked to load the bases one again and pinch-hitter Chris Heisey scored both Bruce and Frazier. Mesoraco moved to third on the play after a throwing error by Giancarlo Stanton. Back-to-back walks forced Mesoraco across to give the Reds a 9-1 edge.
Bruce was walked with one out in the sixth, setting up Frazier's blast.
The Marlins were 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base ... Stanton recorded two errors ... Frazier has 14 RBI this season, tied with David Wright and Pablo Sandoval for third-most in the National League ... Miami placed infielder Adeiny Hechavarris on the 15-day disabled list with a sore throwing arm and called up infielder Nick Green from Triple-A New Orleans (PCL) ... The Reds optioned pitcher Justin Freeman to Triple-A Louisville (IL) to give Cingrani a roster spot. Cingrani is the first left- handed Reds starter since Dontrelle Willis on Sept. 29, 2011.
- MIAMI: 1
Apr 18 10:19 PM
- Todd Frazier one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to center scored Jay Bruce. Sam LeCure due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 11 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 18 9:38 PM
- Zack Cozart walk scored Devin Mesoraco with one out. Bases loaded and Joey Votto due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 9 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 18 9:19 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Heisey single to right scored Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier with one out. On the play, Devin Mesoraco advanced to third on Giancarlo Stanton's fielding error. Runners on first and third and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 8 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 18 9:17 PM
- Todd Frazier advanced to second, Jay Bruce advanced to third and Brandon Phillips scored on a John Maine wild pitch with one out. Runners on second and third and Devin Mesoraco at the plate.
Marlins 1, Reds 6 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 18 9:13 PM
- Zack Cozart single to left scored Shin-Soo Choo with two out. Runner on first and Joey Votto due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 18 8:47 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo double to left scored Xavier Paul with two out. Runner on second and Zack Cozart due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 18 8:46 PM
- Devin Mesoraco sacrifice fly out to center scored Todd Frazier with one out. Runner on second and Tony Cingrani due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 18 8:43 PM
- Xavier Paul single to right scored Jay Bruce with none out. On the play, Xavier Paul advanced to second on Giancarlo Stanton's fielding error as Todd Frazier advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 18 8:42 PM
- Justin Ruggiano lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Rob Brantly due up.
Marlins 1, Reds 1 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 18 8:24 PM
- Zack Cozart advanced to second and Shin-Soo Choo scored on Jose Fernandez's wild pitch with two out. Runner on second and Joey Votto at the plate.
Marlins 0, Reds 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 18 8:15 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21