Brewers down Cubs, win sixth straight gameApr 21, 2013 - 2:46 AM
Logan Schafer and Blake Lalli also drove in one run apiece for the Brewers, winners of six straight.
Hiram Burgos (1-0) was solid in his major league debut, allowing one run on five hits over five frames.
Alfonso Soriano drove in the lone run for the Cubs, losers in five of their last six.
Edwin Jackson (0-3) was tagged for five runs -- one earned -- on four hits over six innings to absorb the loss.
Lucroy crushed an 0-1 fastball over the wall in left-center field to give the Brewers a 1-0 edge in the second inning.
The Cubs tied the game in the fourth after Starlin Castro scored on a Soriano base hit to center field. Castro singled then moved to second on Anthony Rizzo's groundout. Soriano followed with a line drive up the middle and Castro scored easily.
Shaky fielding cost the Cubs in the fifth inning.
With runners on second and third, Lalli, in a pinch-hitting role, smoked a ball to Rizzo, who fielded it cleanly, but lost control as he was touching first base. Schafer broke for home immediately and scored without a throw.
Norichika Aoki followed with a slow grounder to short, but Castro bobbled the ball as he took it out of his glove, allowing Maldonado to score.
The Brewers added two more runs in the sixth to take a 5-1 lead. With runners on the corners and one out, Schafer put down a perfect bunt to execute a suicide squeeze scoring Ryan Braun. Maldonado followed with a base hit to left field to score Lucroy from second.
Milwaukee's bullpen allowed just two base runners the rest of the way.
Milwaukee is 5-0 on its current six-game homestand ... The Brewers are 6-1 when scoring first this season and 7-4 when they hit at least one homer ... Castro extended his hitting streak to 12 games ... Jackson has 993 career strikeouts.
- CHICAGO: 1
Apr 20 10:10 PM
- Martin Maldonado singled to left scoring Jonathan Lucroy. Runner on first with two outs and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 20 9:15 PM
- Logan Schafer squeeze bunt to pitcher scored Ryan Braun. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Martin Maldonado due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 20 9:13 PM
- Norichika Aoki reached first on Starlin Castro's fielding error scoring Martin Maldonado. Runner on first with two outs and Jean Segura due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 20 8:54 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Blake Lalli grounded out first to pitcher scoring Logan Schafer. On the play, Martin Maldonado advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Norichika Aoki due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 20 8:52 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to center scoring Starlin Castro. Runner on first with two outs and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 20 8:11 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Logan Schafer due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 20 7:39 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 7:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21