Diamondbacks rally, halt Rockies' win streakApr 22, 2013 - 6:43 AM
With Colorado closer Rafael Betancourt needed to pitch the previous two games, Wilton Lopez (0-1) was summoned upon to try and lock down the save in the ninth.
"He's got a number of saves in the National League, he's been in that situation before. I like the way he's throwing the ball," Colorado manager Walt Weiss said of Lopez.
He was unsuccessful after surrendering a single to Didi Gregorius and a double to A.J. Pollock before Arizona pulled even on pinch-hitter Alfredo Marte's grounder to third.
Pollock moved to third base on the play and scored on a sac fly from Gerardo Parra to put the D-backs in front, 5-4.
J.J. Putz put runners on first and third in the bottom of the ninth, but was able to register his third save when he got Eric Young to ground out to end the game.
Heath Bell (2-0) picked up the win with a perfect eighth.
Gregorius contributed a solo homer off Colorado starter Juan Nicasio earlier in the contest. Nicasio was chased after 4 1/3 innings of work, surrendering two runs on three hits with three walks.
"He sees the ball well," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of Gregorius. "He's a tough out."
Paul Goldschmidt and Cody Ross each had an RBI in the victory for Arizona, which handed the Rockies their first home loss of the season. They had won their first eight contests at Coors field.
Diamondbacks starter Brandon McCarthy lasted six innings and surrendered three of his four runs allowed in the third, which gave Colorado the early advantage.
Nicasio started the rally with a base hit, moved to second on Young's single and then scored on Jordan Pacheco's soft liner into center. Pacheco took second on his hit when the ball was thrown to third, and Carlos Gonzalez then provided a two-run single to center for a 3-0 lead.
Nicasio didn't allow a hit until Gregorius led off the fifth with a solo homer. He then gave up a single to Pollock and a double to Parra, and with his pitch count at 96, was replaced on the mound by Adam Ottavino.
Ottavino got Martin Prado to ground back to him, and was able to get Pollock out at home. He then surrendered an RBI base hit to Goldschmidt, however, which brought the D-backs within 3-2.
Troy Tulowitzki restored a two-run Colorado advantage in the sixth by homering to center to begin the frame, but Arizona pulled back within 4-3 in the eighth on Ross' RBI double off the center-field wall.
Arizona will continue its nine-game road trip in San Francisco for a three- game set with the Giants starting on Monday ... The Rockies will host Atlanta for a three-game set beginning on Monday ... Earlier on Sunday, Colorado placed starting pitcher Jhoulys Chacin on the 15-day disabled list with a lower back strain. To fill the roster spot, the Rockies recalled pitcher Rob Scahill from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- ARIZONA: 5
Apr 21 7:26 PM
- Gerardo Parra sacrifice fly out to center scored A.J. Pollock. None on with two outs and Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 4 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 21 7:08 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Alfredo Marte grounded out third to first scored Didi Gregorius. On the play, A.J. Pollock advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 4 Top 9, 1 OutApr 21 7:08 PM
- Cody Ross double to right scored Paul Goldschmidt with two out. Runner on second and Eric Chavez due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 4 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 21 6:44 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 21 6:09 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to left scored Gerardo Parra with two out. On the play, Martin Prado advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 3 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 21 5:50 PM
- Didi Gregorius lead-off Home Run (2) to right. A.J. Pollock due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 3 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 21 5:39 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to center scored Eric Young and Jordan Pacheco with one out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advanced to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 21 5:19 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to center scored Juan Nicasio with one out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advanced to second as Eric Young advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 21 5:17 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21