Red-hot Brewers use five-run first to beat PadresApr 23, 2013 - 7:24 AM
Ryan Braun had a two-run homer and drove in three runs while Yuniesky Betancourt hit a three-run shot for the Brewers, who won the first game of a three-game set.
"I just enjoy coming back to the West Coast, it's always rejuvenating for me," said Braun. "It feels like home. Obviously, it's still a challenging ballpark to hit in, but I think I've enjoyed hitting here over the course of my career and as a team, I think we've enjoyed getting the chance here to come out and play."
Kyle Lohse (1-1) was having a solid start, allowing just one run on five hits and a walk in five innings but in the sixth, as he was reaching first on a bunt, he bumped into Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko and left the game with a dislocated left pinky.
Jason Marquis (1-2) lasted just 4 2/3 innings, surrendering seven runs on four hits and four walks. Anthony Bass, who came on in relief of Marquis, drove in the lone run for the Padres, who were swept by the Giants over the weekend.
"Today, we got behind the 8-ball early," said Padres manager Bud Black. "But overall, we outhit them, we made some good plays in the field. Just a complete game, we're not playing. Now we got to do that more often, we just can't do it here and there."
Braun put the Brewers on the board with a two-run blast that plated Rickie Weeks. After Jonathan Lucroy struck out, Logan Schafer and Carlos Gomez were both hit by a pitch, setting up Betancourt's shot.
In the fifth, Jean Segura drew a leadoff walk and stole second base. Following a walk for Weeks, Braun hit a liner to left, scoring Segura. Four batters later, Marquis was replaced by Bass, but he threw a wild pitch with Betancourt batting and Weeks reached home to make it a 7-0 game,
The Padres got on the board in the bottom of the inning. Gyorko hit a leadoff double and reached third after Nick Hundley fouled out to right. Bass then grounded out to the shortstop but was able to score Gyorko.
Alfredo Figaro pitched the final two innings for the Brewers, fanning three while allowing three hits to end the game.
The last time the Brewers won eight straight games was August 5-13, 2008 ... The Padres were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base ... Everth Cabrera stole his sixth base of the season, tied with Andrew McCutchen for most in the National League ... Padres batters struck out 10 times ... San Diego has lost six straight at home.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
SAN DIEGO: 1
Apr 23 12:54 AM
- Anthony Bass ground out short to first scored Jedd Gyorko with two outs. None on and Everth Cabrera due up.
Brewers 7, Padres 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 22 11:46 PM
- Carlos Gomez advances to second, Ryan Braun advances to third and Rickie Weeks scored on an Anthony Bass wild pitch with two outs. Runners on second and third and Yuniesky Betancourt at the plate.
Brewers 7, Padres 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 22 11:40 PM
- Ryan Braun single to left scored Jean Segura with none out. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 6, Padres 0 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 22 11:28 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Logan Schafer and Carlos Gomez. Alex Gonzalez due up.
Brewers 5, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 22 10:23 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left center scored Rickie Weeks. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 2, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 22 10:16 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 10:13 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22