Brewers top Padres, run win streak to nineApr 24, 2013 - 7:41 AM
After starting the season 2-8, the Brewers have won nine in a row for the first time since a 10-game run from Aug. 19-28, 2003.
Ryan Braun and Jean Segura each had an RBI for the Brewers, who have won the first two games of the three-game set. Starter Yovani Gallardo (2-1) allowed three runs on eight hits and five walks over 6 2/3 innings. Jim Henderson pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up his fifth save.
"I don't know why he's out of whack like he is," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Gallardo. "The good thing is, if he can keep us in ballgames and win ballgames when he's struggling, it's going to be a nice thing when he gets it going."
Clayton Richard (0-2) lasted just 1 2/3 innings, surrendering six runs on six hits and two walks for the Padres, who had Carlos Quentin return from an eight-game suspension for charging the mound and starting a benches-clearing brawl after being hit by a pitch by the Dodgers' Zack Greinke on April 11.
"I don't think he was quite 100 percent," Padres manager Bud Black said of Richard.
Quentin, Yonder Alonso and Will Venable each had an RBI for the Padres in defeat, their seventh straight loss at home.
Segura tripled with one out in the first and came home on Braun's RBI groundout.
In the bottom of the inning, Venable singled and stole second base before Chase Headley drew a walk. This set up Quentin's single to shallow left, scoring Venable. Next up was Alonso, who also singled to plate Headley and give the Padres a 2-1 lead.
Rickie Weeks drew a leadoff walk and Gomez cracked a double to begin the second. Betancourt hit a line drive single to right to bring both of them home. After a single by Alex Gonzalez and a bunt by Norichika Aoki, Segura grounded out to third, but Betancourt was able to score. Braun was intentionally walked to load the bases, setting up Lucroy's two-run double.
Venable hit a two-out single in the third that scored Nick Hundley, who doubled three batters earlier.
Neither team had any offensive success for the duration of the game. The Padres were hitless through the final 2 1/3 innings. Henderson allowed Venable to walk with two outs in the ninth, who would then reach second on a fielder's indifference, but struck out Headley to end the game.
Segura had a stolen base, his sixth of the season, tied with Andrew McCutchen and Everth Cabrera for most in the National League ... Quentin was 1-for-3 and drew a walk ... Hundley hit his seventh double, tied with Carlos Santana for most among catchers in the league ... Chris Denorfia has hit safely in all but three of his 18 games played this season.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
SAN DIEGO: 3
Apr 24 1:19 AM
- Will Venable single to right scored Nick Hundley with two out. On the play, Everth Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chase Headley due up.
Brewers 6, Padres 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 23 11:02 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to left scored Alex Gonzalez and Norichika Aoki with two out. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to third. Runners on second and third and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 6, Padres 2 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 23 10:46 PM
- Jean Segura grounded out third to first scored Yuniesky Betancourt with two out. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to second and Alex Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 4, Padres 2 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 23 10:45 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt single to right scored Rickie Weeks and Carlos Gomez with none out. Runner on first and Alex Gonzalez due up.
Brewers 3, Padres 2 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 23 10:38 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to center scored Chase Headley with one out. On the play, Carlos Quentin advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Denorfia due up.
Brewers 1, Padres 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 23 10:28 PM
- Carlos Quentin single to left scored Will Venable with one out. On the play, Chase Headley advances to third. Runners on first and third and Yonder Alonso due up.
Brewers 1, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 23 10:27 PM
- Ryan Braun grounded out short to first scored Jean Segura with two out. None on and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 23 10:17 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 10:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22