Wainwright, Cardinals shut out NatsApr 24, 2013 - 4:15 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Adam Wainwright had a commanding performance, pitching 8 1/3 innings of shutout baseball and helping the St. Louis Cardinals to a 2-0 win against the Washington Nationals on Tuesday.
Wainwright (4-1) allowed just five hits and a walk and had nine strikeouts in his outing, nearly recording his second shutout of the season. Edward Mujica got the final two outs to pick up his third save.
"We had a large number of Cardinals fans in the stands that were cheering me on, so that felt great," said Wainwright. "When I went out for the ninth, they were going nuts and I was fired up."
Allen Craig and Carlos Beltran each drove in one run in the fourth inning, which was all the offense the Cardinals needed.
Nationals starter Ross Detwiler (1-1) gave up two runs on eight hits and two walks over six innings, but the lack of run support prevented him from picking up the win.
"The effort's there but we're just not getting it done," said National manager Davey Johnson. "We're just not getting it done. It's time to get a little mad."
Shane Robinson singled to leadoff the fourth, setting up Craig's double. Matt Holliday hit a liner to right to bring Craig to third and Beltran singled to bring Craig home.
The Nationals had an opportunity to score in the ninth. Bryce Harper knocked a leadoff double, but Adam LaRoche struck out. Mujica then relieved Wainwright and got Ian Desmond to pop out and Chad Tracy to fly out to right to end the game.
Wainwright has pitched at least six innings in all five starts this season ... Wainwright went 34 2/3 innings without walking a batter to start the season until he walked Harper in the seventh inning ... LaRoche struck out four times ... Washington outfielder Jayson Werth went 0-for-4. He is 3-for-22 in his last six games ... The Nationals have lose eight of their last 11 games.
- ST. LOUIS: 2
Apr 23 9:50 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to right scored Allen Craig with none out. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 2, Nationals 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 23 7:58 PM
- Allen Craig double to right scored Shane Robinson with none out. Runner on second and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 1, Nationals 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 23 7:55 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 7:07 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21