Ellis, Dodgers down Mets in series openerApr 24, 2013 - 6:08 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Mark Ellis showed surprising power Tuesday as the veteran carried the Los Angeles Dodgers past the New York Mets, 7-2, in the opener of a three-game series at Citi Field.
Ellis went 4-for-5 with two home runs and four RBI, including a tie-breaking three-run blast in the seventh inning that sent the Dodgers to their second straight win on the heels of a six-game slide.
"It felt good to get hits when we needed them," Ellis said.
A.J. Ellis added a two-run double and Justin Sellers went 3-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI for Los Angeles, which saw ace Clayton Kershaw labor through five innings and allow two runs on three hits and four walks.
Ronald Belisario (1-2) earned the win for a Dodgers bullpen that allowed one hit over four scoreless innings.
Daniel Murphy had half of New York's four hits and drove in a run as the club fell for the fifth time in seven games. The Mets were forced to use five relievers after starter Jon Niese took a comebacker off his leg in the third inning and was forced to exit.
"He's fine. He's getting better as the night goes on, so he'll be OK," Mets manager Terry Collins said of Niese.
Mark Ellis, whose one-hopper back to the mound caused Niese's early exit, hit a solo shot off Robert Carson in the fifth to tie the game at 2-2.
It was the 100th homer of his career, and he added to that total in the seventh when he turned on 2-2 offering from Brandon Lyon (1-1) and cleared the wall down the right-field line. Sellers singled and Juan Uribe walked ahead of the two-out blast.
A.J. Ellis doubled in a pair in the eighth to account for the final margin.
Niese walked the bases loaded in the second and Sellers drove in Adrian Gonzalez with the game's first run on a looping base hit to right.
A pair of two-out, RBI singles from Murphy and David Wright put the Mets on top in the third.
Mark Ellis has three career multi-home run games, the last coming on June 17, 2008 ... Niese, who is being listed as day-to-day with a contusion on his right leg, was charged with one run on three hits and three walks in 2 1/3 innings ... Mets outfielder Juan Lagares, recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas before the game, recorded his first career hit in the seventh inning.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
NEW YORK: 2
Apr 23 10:47 PM
- A.J. Ellis doubled to left-center scoring Adrian Gonzalez and Andre Ethier. Runner on second with one out and Justin Sellers due up.
Dodgers 7, Mets 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 23 10:11 PM
- Mark Ellis two-out, three-run Home Run 2 (2) to left scored Justin Sellers and Juan Uribe. Matt Kemp is due up.
Dodgers 5, Mets 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 23 9:43 PM
- Mark Ellis two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Matt Kemp is due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 23 8:50 PM
- David Wright singled to center scoring Ruben Tejada. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to third on Matt Kemp's fielding error. Runners on first and third with two outs and John Buck due up.
Dodgers 1, Mets 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 23 8:22 PM
- Daniel Murphy singled to center scoring Robert Carson. On the play, Ruben Tejada advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and David Wright due up.
Dodgers 1, Mets 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 23 8:19 PM
- Justin Sellers singled to right scoring Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, A.J. Ellis advances to second and Jerry Hairston advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Clayton Kershaw due up.
Dodgers 1, Mets 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 23 7:37 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22