Barney's homer in 10th inning lifts Cubs over RedsApr 24, 2013 - 5:08 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Darwin Barney hit a solo homer in the 10th inning to lift the Chicago Cubs to a 4-2 win over the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday.
After Joey Votto tied the game with an RBI single in the ninth off Carlos Marmol (2-1), Barney smashed his first homer of the year into the left field seats.
"I got ahead in the count and he has a really good split fastball," said Barney. "I was looking for something to drive and fortunately I got one."
The Cubs added an insurance run two hitters later. Julio Borbon reached on a weak grounder before moving to second on Corky Miller's throwing error. Borbon stole third and Dave Sappelt followed with a base hit to center to make it 4-2.
The Reds put two runners on with one out in the bottom of the 10th, but Kevin Gregg got Zack Cozart to fly out to right before fanning Votto to seal the win. It was Gregg's first save of the season.
Manny Parra (0-1) was saddled with the loss after giving up Barney's homer.
"I've said it before that if you don't come all the way back on a comeback and make the most of your opportunities, it's not going to work out too good for you," said Reds manager Dusty Baker.
Chicago plated a pair of runs in the second inning. Soriano opened the inning with a base hit to left before stealing both second and third base. Scott Hairston followed with a sacrifice fly to left, and Cody Ransom homered to right to give the Cubs a 2-0 edge.
It was the Ransom's first at-bat as a member of the Cubs. He was claimed off waivers from the San Diego Padres earlier this week.
Heisey put the Reds on the board with a leadoff homer in the third.
In the ninth, Shin-Soo Choo walked, then moved to second on Zack Cozart's sacrifice bunt. Marmol replaced starter Carlos Villanueva after that, and promptly surrendered an RBI base hit to Votto.
Marmol walked a pair of batters around a Jay Bruce strikeout to put two on with two outs, but was able to get Heisey to groundout to Ransom at the third to end the threat.
Villanueva, who gave up just one run on three hits over 8 1/3 innings, has been spectacular this season. He has allowed no more than two earned runs over fourth starts, but a lack of run support has only allowed the righty to notch one win this season.
The Cubs had dropped four straight ... Ransom became the first Cub to homer in his first at-bat since Starlin Castro did so on May 7, 2010 in Cincinnati ... Castro had a 14-game hitting streak snapped ... Choo has reached base in all 20 games he has appeared in this season ... Tony Cingrani allowed two runs on five hits over seven frames. He struck out nine without walking a batter.
- CHICAGO: 4
Apr 23 10:22 PM
- Dave Sappelt single to center scored Julio Borbon with one out. Runner on first with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 2 Top 10, 1 OutApr 23 10:01 PM
- Darwin Barney one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Carlos Marmol due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 2 Top 10, 1 OutApr 23 9:55 PM
- Joey Votto single to right scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runner on first with one out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 2 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 23 9:38 PM
- Chris Heisey lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Corky Miller due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 23 7:50 PM
- Cody Ransom two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right center. Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 23 7:29 PM
- Scott Hairston sacrifice fly to left scored Alfonso Soriano with two out. None on with two outs and Cody Ransom due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 23 7:29 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 7:10 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21