Goldschmidt powers Diamondbacks past RockiesApr 26, 2013 - 5:43 AM
Wil Nieves drove in the other run for the Diamondbacks, who saw starter Trevor Cahill (1-3) allow an unearned run on four hits and four walks over five innings, despite needing 105 pitches to finish his outing. J.J. Putz pitched a scoreless ninth to notch his fourth save and help his team win the first of a four-game series against the Rockies.
"We were able to scrape across a couple of runs," Goldschmidt said. "The pitching has been doing so well lately. They've been keeping us in a lot of games."
Troy Tulowitzki had an RBI and Michael Cuddyer scored on a fielding error by Martin Prado for the Rockies. Starter Jorge De La Rosa (2-2) surrendered three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and three walks in six innings.
"I think he was really using his pitches efficiently," Colorado outfielder Eric Young, Jr. said of Cahill. "He was able to get the sinker."
Nieves' RBI single in the second put the Diamondbacks on the board, scoring Goldschmidt, who reached first on an error by Ryan Wheeler and advanced to second on a single by Cody Ross.
In the fourth, with two outs and Cuddyer on third, Yorvit Torrealba hit a grounder that Prado was unable to get a grip on, allowing Cuddyer to reach home.
However, Prado made up for the error in the bottom of the inning by hitting an infield single to leadoff and advanced to second on a wild pitch by De La Rosa, setting up Goldschmidt's two-run smash.
With two outs in the seventh, Tulowitzki doubled to deep right, plating Young, who also doubled to leadoff the frame.
Putz came to close in the ninth. He walked Dexter Fowler with two outs, but struck out Carlos Gonzalez to end the game.
The Rockies placed Todd Helton (forearm) on the 15-day disabled list. To replace Helton, the team recalled Wheeler from Triple-A Colorado Springs ... The Rockies were 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base ... Nieves was a perfect 3-for-3 ... Gonzalez struck out three times ... Gerardo Parra was caught stealing for the fourth time this season, most in the league ... De La Rosa is 0-4 in six starts at Chase Field.
- COLORADO: 2
Apr 26 12:51 AM
- Troy Tulowitzki doubled to center scored Eric Young with two outs. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 26 12:11 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Martin Prado. Cody Ross due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 25 11:04 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba reached first on Martin Prado's fielding error scored Michael Cuddyer with two outs. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jorge De La Rosa due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 25 11:01 PM
- Wil Nieves singled to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with none out. On the play, Cody Ross advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Wilson due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 25 10:12 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 25 9:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21