Beltran homers twice in St. Louis routApr 27, 2013 - 5:19 AM
Lynn (4-0), who entered Friday with a nine-inning scoreless streak, gave up his only run on a sixth-inning sacrifice fly from Pedro Alvarez. That scored Garrett Jones, who led off with a double. The right-hander allowed only one other hit, a single from Starling Marte to lead off the game.
"I've gotten into a little bit of a groove here," Lynn said. "It's good to be staying in that groove. I was able to get my fastball early and mix in offspeed pitches. That's what you have to do, keep them off balance, but also know who you are and challenge them with a fastball."
Allen Craig and Beltran each drove in three runs in St. Louis' fourth consecutive win.
Lynn, who had three walks and nine strikeouts, has a nine-game winning streak dating back to last year. His last regular season defeat came Sept. 7, against Milwaukee in relief.
Matt Carpenter and Beltran homered to start the game against Jonathan Sanchez, (0-3), who was ejected later in the first inning along with Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle.
The ejections came after Sanchez pegged Craig in the helmet with a pitch. Hurdle was ejected for arguing, and Jeanmar Gomez pitched the ensuing 4 1/3 innings.
"I have every belief he's trying to pitch in hard," Hurdle said of Sanchez. "He missed his spots over the plate so he's trying to push the hitter back and he clips him. Tim (Timmons) didn't see it that way."
Pirates hitting coach Jay Bell was ejected in the fifth inning by Timmons for arguing. That came after Marte was hit for the second time by Lynn.
The Pirates, who totaled just five hits, had a three-game winning streak broken and lost for just the second time in eight contests.
Carpenter homered to center to start the bottom of the first, and then batting right-handed, Beltran homered to left field.
Craig singled in Matt Holliday in the third and Beltran went deep with Carpenter aboard in the fifth for his sixth homer of the year.
The Cardinals tacked on four runs in the eighth after the Pirates wasted a bases-loaded chance in the top half. Pete Kozma and Holliday each had RBI base hits, and Craig added a two-run single, all off Vin Mazzaro.
The Cardinals placed first baseman Matt Adams on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a strained right oblique. The move is retroactive to April 22, while the team also purchased the contract of infielder Jermaine Curtis from Triple-A Memphis to fill the roster spot ... Lynn is 23-8 in his first 31 career decisions ... Beltran homered from both sides of the plate for the 10th time in his career.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
ST. LOUIS: 9
Apr 26 11:31 PM
- Allen Craig single to right scored Ty Wigginton and Matt Holliday. On the play, Allen Craig thrown out at second to end the inning.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 9 End 8Apr 26 11:24 PM
- Matt Holliday single to right scored Pete Kozma. On the play, Ty Wigginton advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Allen Craig due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 26 11:19 PM
- Pete Kozma single to right scored Jon Jay. Runner on first with none out and Randy Choate due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 26 11:11 PM
- Pedro Alvarez sacrifice fly to left scored Garrett Jones. None on with two out and Russell Martin due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 5 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 26 10:16 PM
- Carlos Beltran none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (6) to right scored Matt Carpenter. Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 26 9:57 PM
- Allen Craig single to left scored Matt Holliday. Runner on first with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 26 9:20 PM
- Carlos Beltran lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 26 8:30 PM
- Matt Carpenter lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Carlos Beltran due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 26 8:29 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 26 8:16 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21