Gomez, Maldonado homer as Brewers top DodgersApr 28, 2013 - 6:07 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Carlos Gomez and Martin Maldonado each smacked a two-run homer in the Milwaukee Brewers' 6-4 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the middle test of a three-game set.
Wily Peralta (2-1) surrendered three runs on six hits and a walk over six frames for the Brewers, who snapped a brief two-game skid on the heels of a nine-game winning streak.
"His fastball was explosive down in the zone. He had them baffled. If he pitches like that he's going to win a lot of games," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Peralta's start.
Andre Ethier cracked a solo shot for Los Angeles, which had won four of its last five contests coming in.
The Dodgers led 3-2 after six, but the Brewers pushed across a pair of runs in each of the seventh and eighth frame to move in front.
Gomez launched hits no-doubt two-run shot off Matt Guerrier (1-1) deep into the seats in left in the seventh, while Maldonado's two-run knock landed into the Dodgers bullpen in left in the eighth to make it 6-3.
"We wanted Matt Guerrier to face Gomez because he has good numbers against him. He got the matchup we wanted, but it didn't work out tonight," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
Ethier drilled his solo homer in the eighth to cut the gap to 6-4.
LA had runners on second and third with two away against Jim Henderson in the ninth, but he induced A.J. Ellis into a game-ending groundout to first and notch his sixth save of the year.
Yuniesky Betancourt's run-scoring base hit and Rickie Weeks' RBI groundout gave the Brewers a 2-0 in the visitors' third before the Dodgers countered with a run apiece in each of the third, fourth and sixth innings.
Ellis looped an RBI single over the outstretched glove of Weeks at second in the third, Matt Kemp singled to begin the fourth and later scored on Alex Gonzalez's throwing error and Luis Cruz's RBI groundout in the sixth gave LA a 3-2 lead.
Milwaukee was 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position, while Los Angeles finished 1-for-12 with RISP ... Gomez's homer was his third of the season ... Matt Magill made his MLB debut for the Dodgers. He fanned seven and surrendered two runs on four hits and two walks over 6 2/3 innings.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 28 12:31 AM
- Andre Ethier lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Matt Kemp due up.
Brewers 6, Dodgers 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 27 11:53 PM
- Martin Maldonado one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Rickie Weeks. Blake Lalli due up.
Brewers 6, Dodgers 3 Top 8, 1 OutApr 27 11:43 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Norichika Aoki. Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 4, Dodgers 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 27 11:26 PM
- Luis Cruz grounded out second to first scored Matt Kemp. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Brewers 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 27 11:11 PM
- Skip Schumaker reached base on Blake Lalli's throwing error scored Matt Kemp. Schumaker advances to second. Runner on second with none out and Jerry Hairston due up.
Brewers 2, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 27 10:29 PM
- A.J. Ellis singled to right scored Juan Uribe. Runner on first with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Brewers 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 27 10:10 PM
- Rickie Weeks grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Carlos Gomez, Yuniesky Betancourt out at second. Ryan Braun advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Martin Maldonado due up.
Brewers 2, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 27 9:59 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt singled to center scored Norichika Aoki. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second and Carlos Gomez advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 1, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 27 9:56 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 9:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22