Pirates use late rally to sink CardsApr 28, 2013 - 1:26 AM
Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones drove in the other two runs in the seventh for the Pirates, who have won four of five.
A.J. Burnett (2-2) gave up two runs on five hits and struck out six over six frames and still picked up the win despite walking three batters.
"We thought we'd get seven or eight innings out of him and we got six," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "He didn't give in and continued to fight and left the game where we were in a position to still compete."
Carlos Beltran had two hits, including an RBI double , while Pete Kozma also drove in a run for the Cardinals, who had a four-game winning streak come to an end.
Starter Jake Westbrook didn't yield a run over six innings and struck out six, but is still searching for his 100th career win. Reliever Joe Kelly (0-1) was tagged for four runs on three hits and a blown save in one-third of an inning in the setback.
"It stinks for Jake. He pitched his butt off," Kelly said. "That's the most frustrating part."
Trailing 2-0 through the first six frames, Pittsburgh took control in the seventh. Kelly relieved Westbrook and allowed a lead-off single before giving up Martin's crucial opposite field two-run shot to right to make it 2-2. As the rain and sloppy conditions continued to effect both teams, Pittsburgh took advantage with two more runs.
Later in the inning, Trevor Rosenthal replaced Kelly with runners on first and second and one out. The runners, Clint Barmes and Starling Marte, moved to second and third on a wild pitch and then Rosenthal plunked Jose Tabata to load the bases. McCutchen followed with a walk to score one run and Jones grounded out to second bringing in another to give the Bucs a 4-2 lead.
Gaby Sanchez added a sacrifice fly to center in the eighth scoring Martin to add some extra insurance.
Matt Carpenter and Beltran opened up the bottom half of the first with consecutive singles, with Carpenter moving to third on Beltran's poke to right. Matt Holliday then made it 1-0 with a ground out to short that turned into a 6-4-3 double play.
St. Louis struck again in the sixth. Jon Jay doubled to right with one down and Kozma smacked a single up the middle to make it 2-0.
St. Louis never truly responded after the seventh. Jason Grilli worked around Beltran's ninth-inning RBI double to earn his 10th save in 10 tries this season.
Westbrook is 1-7 in 10 career starts versus Pittsburgh ... Pittsburgh's Martin has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games ... Burnett's 48 strikeouts this season leads the National League ... The Pirates left 10 men on base, while St. Louis went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
ST. LOUIS: 3
Apr 27 7:59 PM
- Carlos Beltran doubled to right scored Shane Robinson with two outs. Runner on second and Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 5, Cardinals 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 27 7:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gaby Sanchez sacrifice fly out to center scored Russell Martin with two outs. Runner on first and Starling Marte due up.
Pirates 5, Cardinals 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 27 7:11 PM
- Garrett Jones grounded out second to first scored Starling Marte with two outs. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to second and Jose Tabata advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brandon Inge due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 27 6:45 PM
- Andrew McCutchen walked. Clint Barmes scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 3, Cardinals 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 27 6:37 PM
- Russell Martin none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Pedro Alvarez. Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 2, Cardinals 2 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 27 6:18 PM
- Pete Kozma singled to center scored Jon Jay with two outs. Runner on first and Daniel Descalso due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 27 6:10 PM
- Matt Holliday grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Matt Carpenter. Carlos Beltran out at second. None on with two outs and Allen Craig due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 27 4:31 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 4:16 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21