Cano, Yanks down Rockies to claim three-game seriesMay 10, 2013 - 2:26 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Robinson Cano belted a solo home run to help lift the New York Yankees to a 3-1 victory over the Colorado Rockies in the rubber match of a three-game series at Coors Field.
Thursday's tilt became a battle of the bullpens when a two-hour, seven- minute rain delay knocked both starting pitchers, New York's CC Sabathia and Colorado's Jeff Francis (1-3), out after four innings.
Once play resumed, Cano launched a two-out shot to right field off Rockies reliever Adam Ottavino to put New York up 3-1 in the fifth.
Colorado had its chances against Yankees' relievers Adam Warren (1-0), Boone Logan, Preston Claiborne and David Robertson, but stranded two runners in both the sixth and seventh innings.
Robertson recovered after issuing a walk to the Rockies' leadoff hitter, Eric Young, in the eighth, then Mariano Rivera overcame plunking a batter in the ninth to earn his 13th save of the season.
"Some guys gave us multiple outs. (Logan) gave us one big out. They made some big pitches when they had to when (the Rockies) had a chance to tie the game," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi.
Vernon Wells gave the Yankees a 1-0 lead with an RBI single in the opening frame, but the Rockies answered in the bottom of the first on a Carlos Gonzalez sacrifice fly.
New York went back in front in the fourth. Former Rockie Chris Nelson stroked a leadoff double and eventually scored on Chris Stewart's sac fly to center field.
After Sabathia retired the Rockies in order in the home half, heavy rain halted play. Sabathia had allowed just one hit prior to the stoppage.
"Pitching was outstanding. Offense was definitely subpar, not acceptable," said Colorado manager Walt Weiss.
Cano picked up his 1,500th career hit with a two-out single in the third inning ... Girardi notched his 499th win as Yankees manager.
- NEW YORK: 3
May 9 7:59 PM
- Robinson Cano two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 3, Rockies 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 9 6:31 PM
- Chris Stewart sacrifice fly to center scored Chris Nelson. None on with two outs and CC Sabathia due up.
Yankees 2, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 9 4:19 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left scored Dexter Fowler. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Wilin Rosario due up.
Yankees 1, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 9 3:42 PM
- Vernon Wells single to right scored Jayson Nix. Runner on first with two outs and Ben Francisco due up.
Yankees 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 9 3:29 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 9 3:19 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21