Jones homers, Rodriguez pitches Pirates past MetsMay 11, 2013 - 6:58 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Garrett Jones hit a three-run homer to help the Pittsburgh Pirates defeat the New York Mets, 7-3, in the second game of a four-game set.
Pedro Alvarez and Starling Marte had an RBI apiece for the Pirates, who have evened the series.
Pittsburgh starter Wandy Rodriguez (3-2) was effective, limiting the Mets to just one run on six hits over six frames. He also contributed with the bat, driving in one run in the victory. Jason Grilli got the final out of the game to notch his 14th save.
Shaun Marcum (0-3) got the start for the Mets and gave up six runs on nine hits in 4 2/3 innings. Anthony Recker, Jordany Valdespin and Andrew Brown each drove in one run in the setback.
"I felt good, but I'm just not making pitches. When you leave balls up in the zone they're going to get hit," Marcum said.
The Pirates scored three runs in the second. Jones doubled to lead off the inning, followed by back-to-back singles by Jose Tabata and Alvarez, who scored Jones. Marcum then allowed a double by Michael McKenry and hit John McDonald with a pitch, loading the bases. Rodriguez grounded towards Marcum, but brought Alvarez home. Next was Marte, who plated McKenry with an infield single.
"It feels good to score early. It takes a lot of pressure off the pitching and gives us some confidence. We're right in every game, so it was nice to just score a bunch of runs and get the win," Jones said.
Marte was hit by a pitch to begin the fifth, followed by a single by Jordy Mercer, setting up Jones' three-run blast.
Recker's homer started the home fifth, putting the Mets on the board, but Pittsburgh added an insurance run in the ninth. Gaby Sanchez drew a walk to start the inning, Marte singled and Mercer walked to load the bases. Sanchez scored when Andrew McCutchen grounded into a double play.
Jose Contreras gave up a solo home run to Valdespin and an Andrew Brown RBI single in the bottom of the ninth. Grilli came on to replace Contreras and got Ruben Tejada to fly out with runners on first and second to end the game.
McCutchen was 0-for-5 ... The Mets were 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- PITTSBURGH: 7
NEW YORK: 3
May 10 10:22 PM
- Andrew Brown single to left scoring Ike Davis with two outs. On the play, Anthony Recker advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ruben Tejada due up.
Pirates 7, Mets 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 10 10:16 PM
- Jordany Valdespin solo Home Run (3) to right with one out. Ike Davis due up.
Pirates 7, Mets 2 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 10 10:07 PM
- Andrew McCutchen grounds into a double play, short to second to first, scoring Gaby Sanchez with two outs. Jordy Mercer out at second. Starling Marte advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 7, Mets 1 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 10 10:02 PM
- Anthony Recker lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Juan Lagares due up.
Pirates 6, Mets 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 10 9:02 PM
- Garrett Jones three-run Home Run (5) to right scoring Starling Marte and Jordy Mercer with one out. Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 6, Mets 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 10 8:50 PM
- Starling Marte single to short scoring Michael McKenry with two outs. On the play, Wandy Rodriguez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jordy Mercer due up.
Pirates 3, Mets 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 10 7:46 PM
- Wandy Rodriguez grounds into a fielder's choice, pitcher, second to short scoring Pedro Alvarez with two outs. John McDonald out at second. Michael McKenry advances to third. Runners on first and third and Starling Marte due up.
Pirates 2, Mets 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 10 7:43 PM
- Pedro Alvarez single to right scoring Garrett Jones with one out. On the play, Jose Tabata out at third trying to advance. Runner on first and Michael McKenry due up.
Pirates 1, Mets 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 10 7:32 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21