Kershaw dazzles as Dodgers blank NationalsMay 15, 2013 - 6:10 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Clayton Kershaw pitched 8 2/3 shutout innings and the Los Angeles Dodgers blanked the Washington Nationals, 2-0, in the second tilt of a three-game series.
Kershaw (4-2) had 11 strikeouts and allowed just five hits and a walk in his outing. The 25-year-old lefty has been effective as of late, going 2-0 while giving up just three runs -- two earned -- over 30 2/3 innings in his last four starts. However, in that same span, the Dodgers have scored just seven runs.
"They're an aggressive team, and once I got ahead I was able to throw some pitches out of the strike zone and get them to chase," Kershaw said.
Kenley Jansen got the final out to notch his second save.
Andre Ethier drove in two runs for Los Angeles, which recorded just four hits, but it was all the offense needed.
Ryan Zimmerman was 3-for-4, but the Nationals were 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base. Starter Dan Haren (4-4) surrendered two runs on four hits over seven frames.
Kershaw was plunked to start the third and Matt Kemp singled two batters later. Both of them advanced when Haren threw a wild pitch. After Adrian Gonzalez struck out, Ethier hit a liner to center, bringing both of them home.
"I really wasn't trying to throw Ethier a strike. I was trying to throw the ball in the dirt and off the plate. I made a mistake and he made me pay," Haren said.
Kershaw got two quick outs in the ninth, as Zimmerman and Ian Desmond both flied out. However, Adam LaRoche singled in a 10-pitch at-bat, and after throwing 132 pitches, Kershaw was replaced by Jansen. LaRoche advanced to second on a fielder's indifference, but Tyler Moore struck out to end the game.
LaRoche has an 11-game hitting streak, which matches his career-long ... Zimmerman is now 7-for-13 against Kershaw ... Kemp extended his hitting streak to 13 games while Gonzalez was 0-for-3 and snapped his streak at 10.
- WASHINGTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 2
May 15 12:31 AM
- Andre Ethier single to center scored Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp with two out. Runner on first with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Nationals 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 14 11:12 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 10:11 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22