Gonzalez, Rockies pound CubsMay 15, 2013 - 4:34 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Jeff Francis surrendered one run in six innings and Carlos Gonzalez went 5-for-5 with two home runs as the Colorado Rockies downed the Chicago Cubs, 9-4, in the second tilt of a three-game set at Wrigley Field.
Gonzalez also doubled and singled twice for Colorado, which had lost five of six entering play. Eric Young hit a two-run homer and scored twice, while Troy Tulowitzki went 3-for-5 with two doubles. The Rockies erupted for 17 hits as a team and led 7-0 before Chicago finally got to Francis for a run on Darwin Barney's homer in the bottom of the fifth.
"It's nice to see not only (Gonzalez) bust out but also our whole offense," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
Francis (2-3), a winner for the first time since his first start of the season, allowed just three hits, walked one and helped himself at the plate with a sacrifice fly.
The Rockies did most of their damage off Carlos Villanueva (1-3), who yielded seven runs on 12 hits in five innings.
"There wasn't a whole lot he had tonight," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of his starter.
Gonzalez got the visitors going in the first inning when he sprayed a single between first and second base to plate Young, who doubled to lead off the game.
The Rockies put three more across one inning later. Following three straight singles, Francis helped his own cause with a sac fly to center to plate Nolan Arenado, and Young followed with his first homer of the season, a deep drive to straightaway center field.
Gonzalez' solo shot in the third put Colorado up, 5-0. Two innings later, Tulowitzki doubled to left, plating Gonzalez, and Todd Helton delivered a single through the hole at second base to plate the Rockies shortstop.
After Barney's fifth inning blast put the Cubs on the board, Chicago benefited from two Colorado errors in the bottom of the eighth. David DeJesus and Starlin Castro came around to score in the frame, but the Rockies tacked on two more in the top of the ninth on Gonzalez' second long-ball of the night and a Helton sac fly before Barney doubled in one final run in the bottom of the ninth.
Helton and Arenado had two hits apiece ... The Rockies went 6-for-14 with runners in scoring position while Chicago hit just 2-for-12 with RISP ... Both teams left seven men on base.
- COLORADO: 9
May 14 11:00 PM
- Darwin Barney double to left center scored Welington Castillo with one out. Runner on second and Shawn Camp due up.
Rockies 9, Cubs 4 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 14 10:55 PM
- Todd Helton sacrifice fly out to left scored Troy Tulowitzki with two out. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to second. Runner on second and Nolan Arenado due up.
Rockies 9, Cubs 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 14 10:43 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run 2 (9) to right. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 8, Cubs 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 14 10:37 PM
- Alfonso Soriano's ground out third to first scored Starlin Castro with two out. On the play, Anthony Rizzo advances to second. Runner on second and Scott Hairston due up.
Rockies 7, Cubs 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 14 10:29 PM
- Edgmer Escalona's throwing error scored David DeJesus with one out. Anthony Rizzo reached first. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Rockies 7, Cubs 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 14 10:28 PM
- Darwin Barney two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Carlos Villanueva due up.
Rockies 7, Cubs 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 14 9:34 PM
- Todd Helton single to right center scored Troy Tulowitzki with two out. Runner on first and Nolan Arenado due up.
Rockies 7, Cubs 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 14 9:28 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to left scored Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on second and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 6, Cubs 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 14 9:24 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 5, Cubs 0 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 14 8:42 PM
- Eric Young two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Josh Rutledge. Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 4, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 14 8:30 PM
- Jeff Francis sacrifice fly out to center scored Nolan Arenado with two out. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to third. Runner on third and Eric Young due up.
Rockies 2, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 14 8:29 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to right scored Eric Young with one out. Runner on first and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 14 8:11 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 8:07 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21