Reds pound out 18 hits in win over IndiansMay 29, 2013 - 5:23 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - The Cincinnati Reds recorded 18 hits against the Cleveland Indians and took an 8-2 win in the second and final game of a two-game set.
Every starting position player on the Reds but Jay Bruce managed to have a multi-hit game. Xavier Paul went 3-for-4 and drove in two runs while Bruce, Joey Votto, Jack Hannahan, Zack Cozart and Derrick Robinson contributed with an RBI apiece.
Cincinnati starter Mat Latos (5-0) had seven strikeouts and allowed one run on five hits and four walks over 6 1/3 innings.
The Reds have won 14 of their last 17 games.
"I feel like we show up to the park, and we expect to win," Cozart said. "We're starting to get to that point to where I think we know how good we are if we play our style of ball that we're going to win a lot of games."
Michael Bourn and Michael Brantley each drove in one run for the Indians, who are on a season high-tying five-game losing streak. Starter Zach McAllister (4-4) gave up three runs on 10 hits and a walk in 5 1/3 innings.
"No one is going to win every single game out there," McAllister said. "Obviously, everyone is out there trying to win games and doing their part to help the team out. We're in a little funk right now."
Shin-Soo Choo ripped a double to start the home half of the first, advanced to third on a bunt single by Cozart and reached home on a single by Votto. Three batters later, Paul singled, scoring Cozart and Votto.
Cleveland got on the board in the fifth, when Bourn delivered a two-out single that plated Drew Stubbs, who singled and stole second.
However, the Reds scored four runs in the seventh off Bryan Shaw. Devin Mesoraco hit a bases-loaded single, scoring Brandon Phillips, and reached second on a throwing error by Carlos Santana. Hannahan followed with a single, plating Paul. Robinson, pinch-hitting for Sam LeCure, singled to bring Mesoraco home.
Shaw, after just one out, was replaced by Scott Barnes. However, he threw a wild pitch with Choo batting, then hit Choo three pitches later to load the bases. Cozart smacked a single to left, scoring Hannahan. Robinson attempted to make it two, but was thrown out at the plate, thanks to a great throw by Brantley.
Nick Swisher struck out on three straight pitches to begin the eighth, but was able to reach first on a passed ball. He later scored on a two-out single by Brantley.
The Reds added an insurance run in the eighth. Bruce ripped a double to center, plating Phillips, who hit an infield single to lead off the inning.
Alfredo Simon pitched in the ninth for Cincinnati. He gave up a leadoff single to Mike Aviles, who reached second on a fielder's indifference, but struck out Bourn and got Jason Kipnis and Asdrubal Cabrera to ground out to end the game.
Votto has reached base safely in 49 of 52 games ... Reds pitchers have combined to record 10 strikeouts in 20 games this season ... The Indians have a 42-41 edge all-time against the Reds ... Cincinnati and Cleveland will play each other again on Wednesday and Thursday at Progressive Field.
- CLEVELAND: 2
May 28 10:40 PM
- Jay Bruce double to left center scored Brandon Phillips with none out. Runner on second with none out and Alfredo Simon due up.
Indians 2, Reds 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 28 10:26 PM
- Michael Brantley single to right scored Nick Swisher with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 2, Reds 7 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 28 10:19 PM
- Zack Cozart single to left scored Jack Hannahan with one out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second and Derrick Robinson was thrown out at home. Runners on first and second with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Indians 1, Reds 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 28 10:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Derrick Robinson single to center scored Devin Mesoraco with one out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 1, Reds 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 28 10:04 PM
- Jack Hannahan single to center scored Xavier Paul with one out. On the play, Devin Mesoraco advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Sam LeCure due up.
Indians 1, Reds 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 28 10:03 PM
- Devin Mesoraco infield single to the catcher. On the play, Carlos Santana throwing error scored Brandon Phillips with one out. Runners on second and third with one out and Jack Hannahan due up.
Indians 1, Reds 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 28 10:03 PM
- Michael Bourn single to right scored Drew Stubbs with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 1, Reds 3 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 28 8:40 PM
- Xavier Paul single to center scored Zack Cozart and Joey Votto with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Indians 0, Reds 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 28 7:34 PM
- Joey Votto single to center scored Shin-Soo Choo with none out. On the play, Zack Cozart advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Indians 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 28 7:24 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 7:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21