Marquis, Padres upend DodgersJun 6, 2013 - 7:51 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Jason Marquis took a no-hitter into the sixth inning and the San Diego Padres held off the Los Angeles Dodgers, 6-2, to avoid a three-game sweep.
Marquis (7-2) allowed two runs on three hits while striking out six over 6 1/3 innings for the Padres, who snapped a three-game skid. The right-hander improved to 6-0 over his last eight starts.
"I think tonight, more than anything, we saw a legit sinker," Padres manager Bud Black said of Marquis. "It was just a lot of sinkers and some good sliders down underneath."
Jedd Gyorko hit a solo homer and knocked in two runs for San Diego, which also got a pair of RBI from Yasmani Grandal. Jesus Guzman and Will Venable added an RBI apiece.
Los Angeles starter Clayton Kershaw (5-4) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits while striking out nine over six innings. The left-hander had pitched seven or more innings in each of his previous seven starts.
"These guys battled him," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of the Padres against Kershaw. "They're the team that gives him trouble. They seem to run him through pitches."
Scott Van Slyke hit a solo homer for the Dodgers, who were limited to five hits. Adrian Gonzalez drove in a run.
The Padres gave Marquis some early support by scoring a run in the second inning. Guzman reached on an infield single and advanced to second on shortstop Hanley Ramirez's throwing error. Grandal followed with an RBI single to right.
Gyorko led off the fourth with a homer to left, making it a 2-0 game.
Marquis retired the first 13 batters he faced in order. Andre Ethier and Van Slyke worked consecutive one-out walks in the fifth. Marquis, though, retired the next two batters to keep his no-hit bid alive.
San Diego backed Marquis with another run in the sixth. Gyorko walked, moved to second on Kyle Blanks' groundout and raced home on Guzman's double to right.
Blanks made a great play in the field to start the bottom of the frame. He made a great diving catch in right field to rob pinch-hitter Jerry Hairston of a hit. After Yasiel Puig struck out swinging, Skip Schumaker doubled to right- center field to bring an end to Marquis' no-hit bid. Schumaker scored on Gonzalez's one-hopper that got past Gyorko at second.
Van Slyke's homer to left in the seventh chased Marquis from the game. Tim Stauffer recorded the final two outs of the frame to keep it a 3-2 contest.
The Padres created some distance with a three-run ninth. Paco Rodriguez, who recorded the final two outs in the eighth, quickly loaded the bases. J.P. Howell took over on the mound and immediately gave up a sacrifice fly to Gyorko. Blanks singled to fill the bags again. Venable's RBI single and Grandal's sacrifice fly made it a 6-2 game.
Marquis improved to 8-4 in 18 lifetime meetings with the Dodgers, all but one of those starts ... Kershaw fell to 8-5 in his career against the Padres ... Dodgers relief pitcher Scott Elbert will undergo Tommy John elbow reconstruction next week and will be sidelined for 12-to-16 months, the club announced on Wednesday ... Puig went 0-for-4 after hitting a pair of homers on Tuesday ... The Padres will reinstate Cameron Maybin from DL on Thursday.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jun 6 1:47 AM
- Yasmani Grandal sacrifice fly out to center scored Carlos Quentin with two out. On the play, Kyle Blanks advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Dale Thayer due up.
Padres 6, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 6 1:37 AM
- Will Venable single to right scored Chase Headley with one out. On the play, Kyle Blanks advanced to second and Carlos Quentin advanced to third. Bases loaded and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 5, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 1 OutJun 6 1:35 AM
- Jedd Gyorko sacrifice fly out to center scored Everth Cabrera with one out. Runners on first and second and Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 4, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 1 OutJun 6 1:32 AM
- Scott Van Slyke one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Juan Uribe due up.
Padres 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 6 12:31 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Skip Schumaker with two out. Runner on first and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Padres 3, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 6 12:16 AM
- Jesus Guzman double to right scored Jedd Gyorko with one out. Runner on second and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 3, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 1 OutJun 5 11:51 PM
- Jedd Gyorko lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 2, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 5 11:06 PM
- Yasmani Grandal single to right scored Jesus Guzman with two out. Runner on first and Jason Marquis due up.
Padres 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 5 10:31 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 10:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 21