Under suspicion, A's Colon tosses gem against BrewersJun 5, 2013 - 9:49 PM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Bartolo Colon may be one of 20 MLB players alleged to have used banned substances from the Biogenesis clinic, but that didn't stop him from having another great outing.
Colon pitched seven innings of one-run baseball and the Oakland Athletics defeated the Milwaukee Brewers, 6-1, in the finale of a three-game interleague series at Miller Park.
The 40-year-old Colon (7-2), who was suspended 50 games for a positive testosterone test last August, allowed eight hits and two walks to pick up his fourth straight win. He has allowed just three runs over his last four starts (30 innings), including a shutout against the Chicago White Sox on Friday.
"It feels good to continue to pitch well," said Colon. "I feel a lot better pitching than I did last year."
The Athletics scored five runs in the seventh inning, capped off with a three- run home run by Brandon Moss. Josh Donaldson went 3-for-4 with two RBI and Jed Lowrie scored twice in the victory, Oakland's fifth in its last six games.
Carlos Gomez drove in the lone run for the Brewers, who saw starter Yovani Gallardo (4-6) allow five runs on six hits and a walk in six-plus innings.
Gomez's RBI came with one out in the home half of the first, when he smacked a triple deep into center and plated Jean Segura.
In the fifth, Lowrie and Donaldson connected on back-to-back singles. Seth Smith grounded into a double play, but Lowrie was able to reach home to tie the game at 1-1.
The Brewers had an opportunity to retake the lead in the bottom of the inning. Gallardo singled to lead off and reached second when Yoenis Cespedes was unable to make a grab. He got to third on an infield single by Norichika Aoki, but was thrown out at the plate after Segura's grounder went towards third base. A double play off Gomez ended the frame.
John Jaso drew a walk to start the seventh. After two straight singles by Yoenis Cespedes and Lowrie, Donaldson singled to right, scoring Jaso and Cespedes.
"The walk to Jaso hurt him (Gallardo)," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "He made a good pitch to Cespedes, which got past third. Next thing you know, he's in trouble. It's a shame when you're good until the seventh and then you give up five runs. It's tough."
Michael Gonzalez then came in relief for Gallardo. Pinch-hitter Chris Young flew out, but Moss' three-run blast to right center made it a 6-1 game.
Jesse Chavez allowed a one-out single to Scooter Gennett, but got pinch-hitter Martin Maldonado to strike hot and Aoki to fly out to center to end the game.
Moss' homer was the 12,000th in Athletics history ... Oakland starters have allowed one run or fewer in 11 of the last 19 games ... Gallardo has not won at home since April 29 against Pittsburgh ... The Brewers were 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- OAKLAND: 6
Jun 5 4:51 PM
- Brandon Moss one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right center scored Jed Lowrie and Josh Donaldson. Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 6, Brewers 1 Top 7, 1 OutJun 5 4:02 PM
- Josh Donaldson singled to right scored John Jaso and Yoenis Cespedes. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 3, Brewers 1 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 5 3:57 PM
- Seth Smith grounded into a double play, third to short to first scored Jed Lowrie. Josh Donaldson out at second. None on with two outs and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 1, Brewers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 5 3:25 PM
- Carlos Gomez tripled to center scored Jean Segura. Runner on third with one out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Athletics 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 5 2:23 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 2:13 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21