Mets hit 3 HRs, down CardinalsJun 13, 2013 - 6:29 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Lucas Duda homered and knocked in two runs to lead the New York Mets to a 5-1 win over the St. Louis Cardinals in the middle test of a three-game set at Citi Field.
David Wright and Marlon Byrd also hit solo shots for the Mets, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Dillon Gee (5-6) pitched 6 2/3 solid innings, giving up one run on six hits and two hits while striking out seven. He has allowed just one run in each of his last three starts.
"[We were] able to jump on them early and just allow Dillon to go out there and pound the strike zone," Wright said. "The key is always good starting pitching, and we got that tonight."
Allen Craig's home run was the lone score for the Cardinals. Shelby Miller (7-4) had 10 strikeouts, but surrendered a career-high four runs and five hits, including two homers, over six innings.
"He only gave up five hits, but they counted for four runs," manager Mike Matheny said of Miller. "It was another pitcher who had a lot going against him early and kept his composure and gave us a chance."
The Mets struck for two runs in the first. With two outs, David Wright smacked a double to right-center. Murphy and Duda then connected on back-to-back RBI singles. Duda's hit to right field scored Murphy from first base when Carlos Beltran threw the ball to second. Murphy kept chugging around the bases and the throw home wasn't in time.
Duda's 11th home run of the season, a shot to right-center came with one out in the fourth.
The Cardinals finally scored in the sixth, when Craig crushed a 3-2 pitch to left for his second homer of this series. Yadier Molina followed with a double to left, but the Cardinals went hitless the remainder of the game.
In the home half of the sixth, Wright hammered a 3-1 pitch over the wall in center with one out. Seth Maness replaced Miller in the seventh, but gave up a leadoff homer to left from Byrd.
Cardinals third baseman David Freese went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts, snapping a career-long 20-game hitting streak ... Molina went 3-for-4 with two doubles ... The Cardinals were 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
- ST. LOUIS: 1
NEW YORK: 5
Jun 12 9:44 PM
- Marlon Byrd lead-off Home Run (9) to left. John Buck due up.
Cardinals 1, Mets 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 12 9:17 PM
- David Wright one-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Daniel Murphy due up.
Cardinals 1, Mets 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 12 8:57 PM
- Allen Craig one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 1, Mets 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 12 8:44 PM
- Lucas Duda one-out, solo Home Run (11) to right center. Marlon Byrd due up.
Cardinals 0, Mets 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 12 8:22 PM
- Lucas Duda single to right scored Daniel Murphy with two out. Runner on first and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cardinals 0, Mets 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 7:35 PM
- Daniel Murphy single to left scored David Wright with two out. Runner on first and Lucas Duda due up.
Cardinals 0, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 7:30 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21