Ramos returns and lifts Nationals over BrewersJul 4, 2013 - 9:45 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Wilson Ramos supplied the Fourth of July fireworks in his return from the disabled list.
Ramos drove in two with a bases-loaded single in the sixth, then crushed a tiebreaking three-run homer an inning later to lift the Washington Nationals to an 8-5 win over the Milwaukee Brewers.
Washington reliever Drew Storen blew a three-run lead after Ramos, who had been on shelf since straining his left hamstring in mid-May, sent a grounder up the middle to put the Nationals up 5-2.
Storen (3-2) gave up a pair of homers in the seventh, a solo blast by Yuniesky Betancourt and a two-run shot by Carlos Gomez with two outs.
The Washington catcher, however, delivered a clutch, two-out hit of his own in the home half of the frame. Ramos followed a Anthony Rendon walk with a smash to left field off Brandon Kintzler, who replaced Tom Gorzelanny (1-1) after Jayson Werth singled to extend the inning.
"They were waiting for me, for my return," Ramos said. "I'm happy, happy for this day. Hopefully, I will help the team win a lot of games."
Milwaukee threatened in the ninth, putting two men in scoring position, but Rafael Soriano retired Jonathan Lucroy on an infield pop up to record his 22nd save and help the Nationals salvage a split of this four-game series.
Lucroy opened the scoring with a two-out, RBI single in the first, but the Nationals responded with a two-out rally in the bottom of the inning as Adam LaRoche and Werth each singled home a run off Milwaukee rookie Donovan Hand.
A sacrifice fly by Ryan Zimmerman extended the lead to 3-1 in the third before Washington's Taylor Jordan, making his second career start, surrendered a run- scoring single to Juan Francisco in the sixth.
"(The Nationals) could have blown open that game," Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke said. "(Hand) made some nice pitches to keep it there and give us a chance to tie it up."
The five RBI were a career high for Ramos ... Jordan gave up six hits in 5 2/3 innings ... Hand tossed five frames and allowed six hits with three walks ... The Nationals optioned catcher Jhonatan Solano to Triple-A Syracuse to make room for Ramos.
- Jonathan Lucroy popped out to short to end the game.
Jul 4 2:42 PM
- Wilson Ramos two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jayson Werth and Anthony Rendon. Drew Storen due up.
Brewers 5, Nationals 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 4 2:08 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Jean Segura. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 5, Nationals 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 4 1:49 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 3, Nationals 5 Top 7, 1 OutJul 4 1:39 PM
- Wilson Ramos singled to center scored Adam LaRoche and Jayson Werth. On the play, Anthony Rendon advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ross Ohlendorf due up.
Brewers 2, Nationals 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 4 1:25 PM
- Juan Francisco singled to right scored Carlos Gomez. On the play, Francisco thrown out going back to first, right to first to second. None on with two outs and Sean Halton due up.
Brewers 2, Nationals 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 4 1:10 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman sacrifice fly out to center scored Ian Desmond. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Adam LaRoche due up.
Brewers 1, Nationals 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 4 12:15 PM
- Jayson Werth singled to center scored Bryce Harper. On the play, Adam LaRoche advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Anthony Rendon due up.
Brewers 1, Nationals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 4 11:34 AM
- Adam LaRoche singled to right scored Ian Desmond. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jayson Werth due up.
Brewers 1, Nationals 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 4 11:33 AM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to center scored Jean Segura. Runner on first with two outs and Juan Francisco due up.
Brewers 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 4 11:15 AM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 11:07 AM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21