Cuddyer and Rockies cool off DodgersJul 5, 2013 - 5:56 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Michael Cuddyer went 2-for-3 with a solo homer, three RBI and three runs scored to pace the Colorado Rockies past the Los Angeles Dodgers, 9-5, on Thursday.
Wilin Rosario added a pair of RBI, while Josh Rutledge, Carlos Gonzalez, Todd Helton and Tyler Colvin knocked in a run apiece for the Rockies, who had dropped three straight entering the contest.
Jhoulys Chacin (8-3) gave up four runs on nine hits and three walks while striking out four over 5 2/3 innings to win his fifth straight start.
Adrian Gonzalez went 4-for-5 with a solo homer and two RBI and Matt Kemp added a two-run shot for the Dodgers, who lost for just the second time in 12 games.
Chris Capuano (2-6) was tagged for six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits over 4 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
Colorado jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning. DJ LeMahieu led off with a double, moved to third on Rutledge's sacrifice bunt and came around on Carlos Gonzalez's double into the right-field corner.
Andre Ethier singled before Kemp blasted a hanging slider over the wall in center to put the Dodgers up 2-1 in the second.
The Rockies added four runs in the third inning to take the lead for good. Chacin and LeMahieu each singled before Rutledge smacked an RBI base hit to center. After Carlos Gonzalez grounded into a fielder's choice, Cuddyer laced a two-run double off the wall in center. Rosario followed with a sacrifice fly to make it 5-2.
"It's frustrating, as a starter, to put your team in a hole like that," Capuano said. "If I make a pitch to Cuddyer, it could have been a different game."
In the fifth inning, Rosario and Helton hit back-to-back RBI singles before Colvin capped the inning with an RBI base hit of his own to put Colorado on top 8-2.
The Dodgers pushed two runs across in the sixth. Yasiel Puig roped an RBI single to center to score Nick Punto, and Adrian Gonzalez followed with a double to center to score Puig.
Cuddyer pounded a 2-1 fastball over the wall in right-center in the seventh to put the Rockies up 9-4, with Adrian Gonzalez delivering a solo shot in the ninth to account for the final difference.
"If I happen to hit home runs, I'm still a singles hitter. It's Colorado. The high altitude. I'm just trying to get singles up the middle," said Cuddyer. Game Notes
Chacin hasn't lost since May 16, a span of nine straight starts ... Rosario has hit safely in nine straight games ... The Rockies improved to 19-8 at Coors field when scoring the game's first run ... Los Angeles went just 2- for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 11 men on base ... Hanley Ramirez extended his hitting streak to an NL-best 15 games by going 1-for-4 for Los Angeles.
- Tim Federowicz flied out to center to end the game.
Jul 4 11:30 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (13) to left center. Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 9 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 4 11:20 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Wilin Rosario due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 9 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 4 10:56 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez double to left center scored Yasiel Puig with two out. Runner on second and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 8 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 4 10:26 PM
- Yasiel Puig single to center scored Nick Punto with two out. Runner on first and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 8 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 4 10:21 PM
- Tyler Colvin single to center scored Wilin Rosario with two out. On the play, Nolan Arenado advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jhoulys Chacin due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 4 10:13 PM
- Todd Helton single to right scored Michael Cuddyer with one out. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nolan Arenado due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 7 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 4 10:05 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to center scored Josh Rutledge with one out. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to second. Runners on first and second and Todd Helton due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 6 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 4 10:03 PM
- Wilin Rosario sacrifice fly out to center scored Michael Cuddyer with two out. None on and Todd Helton due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 4 9:20 PM
- Michael Cuddyer double to center scored Josh Rutledge and Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Michael Cuddyer to third. Runner on third and Wilin Rosario due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 4 9:19 PM
- Josh Rutledge single to center scored Jhoulys Chacin with none out. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to second and DJ LeMahieu advances to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 4 9:14 PM
- Matt Kemp none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left center scored Andre Ethier. Tim Federowicz due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 4 8:33 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez double to right scored DJ LeMahieu with one out. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 4 8:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22