Nats score early to down PadresJul 6, 2013 - 6:22 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - The Washington Nationals ambushed Andrew Cashner to win the opener of a three-game set, 8-5.
Gio Gonzalez (6-3) survived the early innings to earn the Nats' fourth win in six games. He went 6 2/3 and gave up three runs on eight hits with five strikeouts.
Wilson Ramos remained hot in his second game off the disabled list for a strained left hamstring. Ramos had two hits and knocked in three runs. Ramos had a go-ahead, three-run home run on Thursday and collected eight total RBI between the two games.
"I feel comfortable at the plate right now," Ramos said. "Same approach tonight, same approach last night, too -- just get a good pitch to hit. [I'm] happy right now because I'm back and we won."
Cashner (5-4) lost for the first time since May 30. He had only allowed 11 earned runs in his previous five starts, but gave up six in only two-plus innings. The Nats battered him for five hits and three walks.
"I felt like I couldn't catch a break," Cashner said. "The biggest thing was I didn't locate my fastball down and away. That's been a big pitch for me."
Chase Headley had a double and a home run in San Diego's seventh straight loss.
San Diego jumped ahead to an early lead after Chris Denorfia doubled and scored on Headley's two-bagger.
The Padres had men on second and third with no outs in the second , but Gonzalez struck out the next three hitters to escape the jam unscathed.
Washington carried the momentum into the bottom half of the frame and struck for five runs. Ryan Zimmerman singled and moved to third on Jayson Werth's base knock. After Anthony Rendon walked to load the bases, Ramos bounced a ground ball through the left side to plate two runs and give the Nats a 2-1 lead.
Cashner plunked Gonzalez to fill up the bases again, and Denard Span made him pay. Span roped a double into the right-field corner to score two more runs. Gonzalez later came home on Bryce Harper's sacrifice fly to cap the five-run outburst.
Headley blasted a solo home run in the third, but the Nationals quickly got the run back in the bottom half of the frame.
Adam LaRoche worked a leadoff walk, moved to second of Werth's single and scored on Ramos' base hit through the right side against Tim Stauffer to take a 6-2 lead.
Washington tagged Stauffer for two more runs in the fourth inning. Ian Desmond started the inning with a double. After Zimmerman walked, Desmond scored on LaRoche's single up the middle. Zimmerman later scored on a Werth ground out, giving the Nationals an 8-2 edge.
San Diego got back into the game in the seventh inning. Pedro Ciriaco picked up a one-out single. After he retired Everth Cabrera, Gonzalez was pulled for Craig Stammen. Denorfia greeted Stammen with a bloop double down the right- field line, and Carlos Quentin followed with a three-run blast, cutting the lead to 8-5.
The Nationals' bullpen clamped down, though. Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano, who earned his 23rd save, tossed a perfect eighth and ninth, respectively, to close out the win.
Desmond leads all major league shortstops with 40 extra-base hits ... Washington has won nine of its last 13 games against San Diego ... Gonzalez won his third straight start ... Headley is hitting .377 (23-for-51) with seven doubles and two home runs at Nationals Park ... Prior to the game, the Padres activated Cabrera from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Burch Smith to Triple-A Tucson. Cabrera went 0-for-5 ... The Nationals went 4- for-13 with runners in scoring position and left seven on base while the Padres went 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left five on base.
- Everth Cabrera grounded out second to first to end the game.
Jul 5 10:06 PM
- Carlos Quentin two-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left scored Pedro Ciriaco and Chris Denorfia. Chase Headley due up.
Padres 5, Nationals 8 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 5 9:31 PM
- Jayson Werth ground out short to first scored Ryan Zimmerman. On the play, Adam LaRoche advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Anthony Rendon due up.
Padres 2, Nationals 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 5 8:55 PM
- Adam LaRoche single to center scored Ian Desmond. On the play, Ryan Zimmerman advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Padres 2, Nationals 7 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 5 8:52 PM
- Wilson Ramos single to right scored Adam LaRoche. On the play, Anthony Rendon advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Gio Gonzalez due up.
Padres 2, Nationals 6 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 5 8:26 PM
- Chase Headley two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 2, Nationals 5 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 5 8:11 PM
- Bryce Harper sacrifice fly to center scored Gio Gonzalez. On the play, Ian Desmond advances to second and Denard Span advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Padres 1, Nationals 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 5 8:04 PM
- Denard Span double to right scored Anthony Rendon and Wilson Ramos. On the play, Gio Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Ian Desmond due up.
Padres 1, Nationals 4 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 5 7:56 PM
- Wilson Ramos single to left scored Ryan Zimmerman and Jayson Werth. On the play, Anthony Rendon advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Gio Gonzalez due up.
Padres 1, Nationals 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 5 7:53 PM
- Chase Headley ground-rule double to center scored Chris Denorfia. Runner on second with two outs and Kyle Blanks due up.
Padres 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 5 7:17 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 7:08 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22