Liriano leads Pirates past CubsJul 6, 2013 - 1:41 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Francisco Liriano continued to dazzle in the Pirates' 6-2 win over the Chicago Cubs in the first of a three game series.
Liriano (8-3) used 111 pitches to go the distance for only the second time in his nine-year career and first time this season. He gave up two runs on four hits with seven strikeouts.
Since his call up on May 11, Liriano leads the National League in wins and, with a 2.20 earned run average, his ERA is below five for only the second time since 2008.
"This was an exclamation point to what he's been doing," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "Just a very impressive outing."
The lefty's only other complete game was his no-hitter in the South Side of Chicago against the White Sox on May 3, 2011 when he was a member of the Minnesota Twins.
"It's so difficult to face him," Cubs catcher Dioner Navarro said. "He throws all his pitches the same speed with different actions."
Starling Marte helped ignite the offense for Pittsburgh, which won for the 11th time in its last 13 games. Marte had three hits and scored a pair of runs.
Jeff Samardzija (5-8) lost for the first time since June 8. He gave up five runs on nine hits and five walks in six innings.
Scott Hairston knocked in both Cubs runs with a home run in Chicago's third loss in four games.
The Pirates struck first in the second inning after Russell Martin's one-out double. After Samardzija intentionally walked Jordy Mercer to get to Liriano, the lefty helped himself, flipping a base hit to left field to plate Martin.
Cody Ransom walked to start the bottom half of the second and, two batters later, Hairston slammed a two-run blast to give Chicago the lead.
The Cubs only had two more hits after Hairston's home run.
The Cubs' advantage was short lived. The Pirates struck three in the top half of the third.
Marte started the inning with a bunt single and Neil Walker sent a line drive to center field, misplayed by Cubs center fielder Dave Sappelt, for a triple to score Marte. Sappelt was shaded to left field and took a bad angle on the ball, which was hit to his left.
Andrew McCutchen followed with a walk and Garrett Jones yanked a base hit to right to score Walker and move McCutchen to third. McCutchen came home on a successful double steal after Jones drew the throw to second and easily swiped the bag.
Jones scored in the fifth inning after he tripled to right. Despite replays that suggested otherwise, Jose Tabata legged out a two-out infield single to short to score Jones.
The Bucs capped the scoring in the eighth inning after Marte led off with a base hit, stole second and scored on a pair of ground outs by Walker and McCutchen, respectively.
Pittsburgh has won seven straight road games for the first time since April 3-17, 2002 ... The Pirates are 25-13 against National League Central opponents this season while the Cubs are 11-27 against their division rivals ... Pittsburgh is 7-3 against Chicago this season ... Liriano is 3-1 with a 1.91 ERA (six earned runs in 28 2/3 innings) in four career starts against the Cubs ... Liriano tossed the Pirates' first complete game of the season.
- Anthony Rizzo grounded out second to first to end the game.
Jul 5 6:58 PM
- Andrew McCutchen grounded out short to first scoring Starling Marte. None on with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Pirates 6, Cubs 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 5 6:28 PM
- Jose Tabata singled to short scoring Garrett Jones. On the play, Russell Martin advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jordy Mercer due up.
Pirates 5, Cubs 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 5 5:32 PM
- Russell Martin struck out swinging. On the play, Garrett Jones stole second and Andrew McCutchen stole home. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 4, Cubs 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 5 5:00 PM
- Garrett Jones singled to right scoring Neil Walker. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 3, Cubs 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 5 4:54 PM
- Neil Walker tripled to center scoring Starling Marte. Runner on third with none out and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 2, Cubs 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 5 4:49 PM
- Scott Hairston one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Cody Ransom. Darwin Barney due up.
Pirates 1, Cubs 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 5 4:40 PM
- Francisco Liriano singled to left scoring Russell Martin. On the play, Jordy Mercer out at third, left to third to end the inning.
Pirates 1, Cubs 0 Mid 2Jul 5 4:33 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 4:10 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21