Skaggs, Diamondbacks shut out RockiesJul 6, 2013 - 5:14 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Tyler Skaggs worked eight shutout innings as the Arizona Diamondbacks blanked the Colorado Rockies, 5-0, in the opener of a three-game set at Chase Field.
Skaggs (2-1) scattered three hits and one walk while fanning five to earn the win.
"I felt comfortable out there and felt like all my stuff was working today," said Skaggs.
Aaron Hill and Paul Goldschmidt each went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI and A.J. Pollock had two hits and three runs scored for the D'backs, who have won three straight on the heels of a five-game skid.
Jorge De La Rosa (8-5) was charged with three runs on seven hits over 5 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
Arizona jumped ahead 1-0 in the first. A.J. Pollock tripled then scored on a wild pitch.
Pollock doubled then scored on Goldschmidt's single to center in the third to make it 2-0.
Arizona added another run in the sixth inning. Hill opened the frame with a double then scored on Goldschmidt's double to center field.
Hill's two-run single in the seventh made it a 5-0 game. Didi Gregorius singled and Pollock walked to put two runners on for Hill, who dropped a single into center field.
"Skaggs worked both sides of the plate with his fastball. He had a good breaking ball and we just struggled to get anything going offensively," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
Prior to the game, Arizona recalled Skaggs and pitcher Charles Brewer from Triple-A Reno. Pitcher Chaz Roe and outfielder Tony Campana were optioned to Reno ... Goldschmidt leads the NL with 71 RBI ... Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez missed the game with a back strain. He is considered day-to-day.
- Corey Dickerson grounded out second to first to end the game.
Jul 6 12:25 AM
- Aaron Hill single to center scored Didi Gregorius and A.J. Pollock with two outs. Runner on first and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 6 12:02 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to center scored Aaron Hill with none out. Runner on second and Miguel Montero due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 5 11:26 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to center scored A.J. Pollock with two outs. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Montero due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 5 10:37 PM
- Jorge De La Rosa's wild pitch scored A.J. Pollock. None on with one out and Paul Goldschmidt at the plate.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 5 10:02 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 9:46 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21