Bruce, Izturis help Reds rout MarinersJul 7, 2013 - 2:36 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Jay Bruce and Cesar Izturis each drove in three runs as the Cincinnati Reds pounded the Seattle Mariners, 13-4, in the second of three from Great American Ball Park.
Bruce and Izturis each had two hits, while Bruce scored four runs and Jack Hannahan was 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Reds, who rebounded from Friday's 4-2 loss in the opener.
Mat Latos (8-2) gave up four runs on six hits with four walks and 11 strikeouts over six innings for the win. He also added a two-run double at the plate.
"After putting us in that hole it was a big relief to me that the guys backed me up and put up some runs," said Latos.
Kyle Seager hit a two-run home run and drove in three for the Mariners, who had won three of four coming in. Jeremy Bonderman (1-3) was handed the loss as he gave up six runs on seven hits in five innings of work.
"He just had trouble getting through innings," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge about Bonderman. "You know, all those two-out RBIs they got tonight really killed us."
As in Friday's game, the Mariners jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning as Endy Chavez singled with one out and Seager followed with his 13th homer of the year, a blast to right field.
The Reds got one back in the second as Bruce walked, took second on a wild pitch and later scored on an Izturis single to make it a 2-1 contest.
Seattle, though, got the run back in the third on a sacrifice fly from Seager that plated Brad Miller.
Cincinnati went on top for the first time in the series in the fourth inning. With one out, Hannahan doubled and Ryan Hanigan was issued a free pass with two outs. Latos, though, made the Mariners pay as he laced a double to the gap in right-center to tie the game. Shin-Soo Choo then plated Latos with a single to center for a 4-3 lead.
The Reds adder to their lead in the fifth as Izturis punched a double to right-center to bring home two runs for a 6-3 advantage.
Ryan drove in Dustin Ackley with a double in the sixth, but Bruce hit a two- run double in the home half and scored when Hannahan followed with a single for a 9-4 lead.
The Reds put the game away in the eighth as Brandon Phillips hit a sacrifice fly and Bruce followed with a fielder's choice to score another run. Hannahan then singled home a run and Ryan Hanigan's RBI double made it a 13-4 game.
Seager extended his hitting streak to seven games ... Seattle pitchers Felix Hernandez and Hisashi Iwakuma were named to the All-Star game on Saturday, while Reds first baseman Joey Votto and second baseman Brandon Phillips were named starters and will be joined by pitcher Aroldis Chapman ... Seattle was 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11 runners ... It was just the second win in 11 games against the Mariners for the Reds.
- Mike Zunino grounded out third to first to end the game.
Jul 6 7:33 PM
- Ryan Hanigan double to right scored Jay Bruce with two out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Zack Cozart due up.
Mariners 4, Reds 13 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 6 7:25 PM
- Jack Hannahan single to right scored Joey Votto with one out. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Alfredo Simon due up.
Mariners 4, Reds 12 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 6 7:20 PM
- Jay Bruce fielder's choice to the pitcher scored Derrick Robinson with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jack Hannahan due up.
Mariners 4, Reds 11 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 6 7:20 PM
- Brandon Phillips sacrifice fly to right scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. On the play, Derrick Robinson advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Mariners 4, Reds 10 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 6 7:18 PM
- Jack Hannahan single to left scored Jay Bruce with two out, on the play Jack Hannrahan was tagged out between first and second to end the inning.
Mariners 4, Reds 9 End 6Jul 6 6:34 PM
- Jay Bruce double to left center scored Shin-Soo Choo and Brandon Phillips with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Jack Hannahan due up.
Mariners 4, Reds 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 6 6:31 PM
- Brendan Ryan double to left center scored Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jeremy Bonderman due up.
Mariners 4, Reds 6 Top 6, 1 OutJul 6 6:15 PM
- Cesar Izturis double to right center scored Jay Bruce and Jack Hannahan with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Mariners 3, Reds 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 6 6:05 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo single to center scored Mat Latos with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Derrick Robinson due up.
Mariners 3, Reds 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 6 5:35 PM
- Mat Latos double to right center scored Jack Hannahan and Ryan Hanigan with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Mariners 3, Reds 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 6 5:31 PM
- Kyle Seager sacrifice fly to left scored Brad Miller with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 3, Reds 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 6 5:01 PM
- Cesar Izturis single to right scored Jay Bruce with one out. Cesar Izturis advanced to second on the throw home.Runner on second with one out and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Mariners 2, Reds 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 6 4:48 PM
- Kyle Seager one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Endy Chavez. Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 6 4:18 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 4:13 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21