Brewers edge MetsJul 7, 2013 - 3:36 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Jonathan Lucroy hit a solo homer and added an RBI single while Logan Schafer went 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored to lead the Milwaukee Brewers over the New York Mets, 7-6, in the middle test of a three-game series.
Francisco Rodriguez gave up a solo homer to Marlon Byrd in the ninth, but struck out the side to close out the win and his eighth save of the year.
Norichika Aoki added two hits, scored a run and knocked in another during Milwaukee's 12-hit outburst, which snapped a two-game slide and gave the Brewers just their third win in their last 11 games.
Yovani Gallardo (7-8) picked up a win after failing to make it past the fourth in his previous two outings, as the veteran righty gave up six hits and four runs over six innings of work.
John Buck homered and drove in three runs and Daniel Murphy went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for the Mets, who couldn't build off Friday's 12-5 victory.
Shaun Marcum (1-10) suffered his 10th loss by allowing his former team to score six times on 11 hits over his five-plus innings on the hill. Marcum played for the Brewers the previous two seasons and allowed them to score in each of the first four frames.
"He left a lot of balls up," Mets manager Terry Collins said of Marcum. "Tonight was a tough night for him pitching back here. It wasn't a normal night for him."
Aoki scored on Lucroy's base hit in the first inning and added an RBI single himself in the second.
Jean Segura, who was voted to his first All-Star Game on Saturday, tacked on a run-scoring sacrifice fly in the second and singled in Gallardo in the fourth after Lucroy had made it 4-0 an inning earlier with his ninth home run of the season.
Buck put the Mets on the board with a leadoff homer in the fifth before Murphy doubled home Omar Quintanilla later in the frame.
Both teams scored runs in the sixth, with Buck driving in a pair with a one- out base hit and Schafer coming around on Murphy's two-base error.
Brewers reliever John Axford loaded the bases with one out in the seventh and limited the damage to Byrd's sacrifice fly. Milwaukee got the run back in the bottom half when Rickie Weeks worked a two-out walk, stole second and scored on Schafer's double.
"Aggressive baserunning worked out well for us," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Both teams stranded nine runners ... Sunday's rubber match will pit Milwaukee's Wily Peralta against New York's Jeremy Hefner ... Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez will join Segura at the All-Star Game, while the host Mets are sending third baseman David Wright and pitcher Matt Harvey.
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis struck out swinging to end the game.
Jul 6 10:49 PM
- Marlon Byrd two-out, solo Home Run (13) to right center. Kirk Nieuwenhuis due up.
Mets 6, Brewers 7 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 6 10:48 PM
- Logan Schafer double to right scored Rickie Weeks. Runner on second with two out and John Axford due up.
Mets 5, Brewers 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 6 10:08 PM
- Marlon Byrd sacrifice fly to center scored Daniel Murphy. Runners on first and second with two out and Kirk Nieuwenhuis due up.
Mets 5, Brewers 6 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 6 9:52 PM
- Yovani Gallardo hits a sacrifice bunt, advances to second on missed catch error by Daniel Murphy scoring Logan Schafer. Runner on second with none out and Norichika Aoki due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 6 9:34 PM
- John Buck single to center scored Ike Davis and Kirk Nieuwenhuis. Runner on first with one out and Omar Quintanilla due up.
Mets 4, Brewers 5 Top 6, 1 OutJul 6 9:16 PM
- Daniel Murphy double to right scored Omar Quintanilla. Runner on second with two out and David Wright due up.
Mets 2, Brewers 5 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 6 8:54 PM
- John Buck lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Omar Quintanilla due up.
Mets 1, Brewers 5 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 6 8:48 PM
- Jean Segura single to right scored Yovani Gallardo. Runner on first with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Mets 0, Brewers 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 6 8:38 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Juan Francisco due up.
Mets 0, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 6 8:18 PM
- Jean Segura sacrifice fly to right scored Yovani Gallardo. Runner on first with two out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Mets 0, Brewers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 6 8:00 PM
- Norichika Aoki single to right scored Logan Schafer. On the play, Yovani Gallardo advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jean Segura due up.
Mets 0, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 6 7:59 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to left center scored Norichika Aoki. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Juan Francisco due up.
Mets 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 6 7:34 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 7:17 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21