Zimmerman's grand slam fuels Nats past PadresJul 7, 2013 - 9:30 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Ryan Zimmerman initially tried to avoid the attention.
He quickly retreated to his teammates in the dugout amidst the hysteria in the stands, but Jayson Werth waited outside the batter's box.
Zimmerman had no choice but to step to the top step of the dugout, raise his right hand to the crowd and take his curtain call moments after his grand slam in the third inning led the Washington Nationals to their fourth win in a row, an 11-7 victory against the San Diego Padres in the finale of a three-game set.
Zimmerman knocked in four runs on his fourth career grand slam and scored twice on the day.
Bryce Harper, who snapped an 0-for-19 skid Saturday, continued to reverse his fortunes. Harper had three hits, an RBI, two runs, and two stolen bases.
Stephen Strasburg (5-6) earned the win without his best command. He gave up four runs on seven hits in six innings. Strasburg walked two and hit three batters. He also struck out nine.
Chase Headley had three hits including a pair of doubles. He knocked in a run and scored another in the Padres' ninth straight loss.
Robbie Erlin (1-2) was tagged for nine runs on six hits and four walks in four-plus innings in his fourth career start.
The Nationals took the lead in the first after Denard Span had a leadoff single, moved to third on a wild pitch and a ground out, then came home on a Harper single.
San Diego tied the game in the third when Headley's double to right-center field plated Carlos Quentin.
Washington quickly regained the lead with some insurance. Strasburg and Ian Desmond walked and Harper singled to load the bases. Zimmerman then jumped on a first-pitch fastball and drove it over the right-field fence to give the Nats a 5-1 lead.
The Nationals continued their rally. Werth followed the blast with a base hit and Anthony Rendon crushed a fastball over the left-field fence to score two more and make the score 7-1.
San Diego's Alexi Amarista hit a two-run home run in the fourth, but the Nationals tacked on four more in the fifth to open up an 11-3 lead.
Harper scored on an errant throw with Zimmerman swiping second base, Rendon singled home Zimmerman, Werth later scored on a double play, and Strasburg capped the rally with a base hit to plate Rendon.
San Diego picked up four runs between the sixth and eighth innings, but Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard combined to retire the final six San Diego hitters in order to finish off an 11-7 win.
Washington is 11-5 in its last 16 games against San Diego ... The Nationals franchise swept the Padres for the first time since May 6-8, 2003 as the Montreal Expos ... San Diego wrapped up a 10-game road trip with a 1-9 record ... Headley has a career .386 average (27-for-70) with nine doubles at Nationals Park ... Washington went 5-for-13 with runners in scoring position while San Diego went 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Kotsay struck out swinging to end the game.
Jul 7 5:08 PM
- Carlos Quentin single to left scored Everth Cabrera with none out. On the play, Will Venable advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 7, Nationals 11 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 7 4:36 PM
- Alexi Amarista fielder's choice to second scored Chris Denorfia with two out. Nick Hundley out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Pedro Ciriaco due up.
Padres 6, Nationals 11 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 7 4:13 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Denorfia reached first on Ian Desmond throwing error. scoring Chase Headley. Runner on first with one out and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 5, Nationals 11 Top 7, 1 OutJul 7 4:11 PM
- Will Venable groundout to first scored Alexi Amarista with two out. On the play, Everth Cabrera advances to second and Pedro Ciriaco advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 4, Nationals 11 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 7 3:54 PM
- Stephen Strasburg single to right scored Anthony Rendon with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Denard Span due up.
Padres 3, Nationals 11 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 7 3:37 PM
- Wilson Ramos double play groundout to third scored Jayson Werth. Tyler Moore out at second, Anthony Rendon advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Stephen Strasburg due up.
Padres 3, Nationals 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 7 3:37 PM
- Anthony Rendon single to right scored Ryan Zimmerman with none out. On the play, Jayson Werth advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Tyler Moore due up.
Padres 3, Nationals 9 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 7 3:33 PM
- Nick Hundley throwing error scored Bryce Harper. Ryan Zimmerman steals second and advances to third on error. Runner on third with none out and Jayson Werth at the plate.
Padres 3, Nationals 8 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 7 3:32 PM
- Alexi Amarista one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Nick Hundley. Robbie Erlin due up.
Padres 3, Nationals 7 Top 4, 1 OutJul 7 2:54 PM
- Anthony Rendon one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jayson Werth. Tyler Moore due up.
Padres 1, Nationals 7 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 7 2:42 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman one-out, Grand Slam (10) to right scored Stephen Strasburg, Ian Desmond and Bryce Harper. Jayson Werth due up.
Padres 1, Nationals 5 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 7 2:37 PM
- Chase Headley double to right center scored Carlos Quentin with two out. Runner on third with two outs and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 1, Nationals 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 7 2:24 PM
- Bryce Harper single to left scored Denard Span with one out. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Padres 0, Nationals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 7 1:51 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 1:37 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22