Navarro lifts Cubs over Pirates in extrasJul 8, 2013 - 1:31 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Dioner Navarro and the Chicago Cubs capitalized on a pair of Pittsburgh Pirates errors to earn a 4-3 win in 11 innings in the rubber match of a three-game series.
After Russell Martin's throwing error put a runner on third with no outs in the 11th, Navarro sent a deep fly ball to right field to score Anthony Rizzo and win the game.
Starling Marte hit a two-out, game-tying home run in the ninth inning for the Pirates, who lost their second straight game after winning 11 of their previous 13.
"We're going to battle until the end," said Martin. "We've done it all year. Marte had a super clutch at-bat right there. When you come from behind late in the game like that, you always have that good feeling -- feeling like you're going to win the game -- but the Cubs battled back. They scrapped a win away from us."
Rizzo and Alfonso Soriano started the bottom of the 11th with a pair of opposite-field singles. Luis Valbuena looked to bunt the runners to second and third, but Martin tried to catch Rizzo straying from second. His pickoff went wide into center field, however, and allowed both runners to advance.
Bryan Morris (4-3) intentionally walked Valbuena to load the bases for Navarro, who entered as a pinch-hitter. Navarro got down to two strikes, but hit a slider sharply to right field where Jose Tabata made the catch, but the ball was deep enough to plate Rizzo.
Matt Guerrier (3-4) earned his first win with the Cubs after tossing two scoreless innings in relief.
"It was nice beating the best team in baseball, basically," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum. "Had some timely hits, caught the ball and did a good job."
Chicago jumped in front early with some help from Pittsburgh.
Pitcher Carlos Villanueva started the bottom of the third inning with a base hit and moved to third when Starlin Castro slammed a double to the right-field gap. Villanueva scored and Castro moved to third when Pirates first baseman Garrett Jones mishandled Rizzo's ground ball, and Soriano took advantage of the miscue and scored Castro with a sacrifice fly.
Pittsburgh cut the lead in half in the fourth, when Tabata and Andrew McCutchen delivered back-to-back doubles, then tied the game in the fifth. Tabata hit a double just past Soriano's outstretched glove and off the base of the left-field wall to score Marte, who reached base on a fielder's choice.
Scott Hairston hit a pinch-hit home run well past the center-field wall to give the Cubs a 3-2 lead in the seventh.
Marte fouled off a pair of two-strike pitches before crushing a sinker over the left-field wall to tie the game at 3-3 in the ninth and hand Kevin Gregg his second blown save this season.
Chicago has won five of its last seven series ... The Cubs have homered in their last nine home games ... Cubs second baseman Darwin Barney committed an error in the 10th inning. It was the reigning Gold Glove winner's first in 75 games, a streak dating back to last season ... Pittsburgh went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and Chicago went 0-for-3 in those situations ... Pittsburgh starter A.J. Burnett received a no-decision after giving up two runs -- one earned -- on three hits in five innings ... Villanueva gave up one run on three hits in four innings.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Jul 7 6:18 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Dioner Navarro sacrifice fly out to right scored Anthony Rizzo to end the game.
Pirates 3, Cubs 4 Bot 11, 1 OutJul 7 6:08 PM
- Starling Marte two-out, solo Home Run (9) to left center. Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 3, Cubs 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 7 5:17 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Scott Hairston two-out, solo Home Run (8) to center. Julio Borbon due up.
Pirates 2, Cubs 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 7 4:45 PM
- Jose Tabata doubled to left scored Starling Marte with two outs. Runner on second and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 2, Cubs 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 7 3:53 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubled to left scored Jose Tabata with none out. Runner on second and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 1, Cubs 2 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 7 3:22 PM
- Alfonso Soriano sacrifice fly out to center scored Starlin Castro with two outs. Runner on first and Luis Valbuena due up.
Pirates 0, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 7 3:14 PM
- Anthony Rizzo reached first on Garrett Jones's fielding error scored Carlos Villanueva with one out. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Pirates 0, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 7 3:11 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 2:23 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21