Arizona sweeps Colorado thanks to Corbin, HillJul 8, 2013 - 2:05 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Patrick Corbin tossed eight strong innings and Aaron Hill finished with two doubles and two RBI, as Arizona finished off a three-game sweep of Colorado thanks to a 6-1 decision on Sunday.
Corbin's (10-1) only blemish was an eighth-inning home run by Jonathan Herrera, one of just three hits allowed while fanning a career-high 10 batters. The 23-year-old left-hander and All-Star selection also drove in a run and scored once after drawing a walk.
"Patrick today, just threw a gem," said D'backs manager Kirk Gibson. "His two- seam fastball was really moving, slider was good, threw a couple change-ups. Just kind of a true to what he's done."
Paul Goldschmidt and Eric Chavez each contributed two hits and drove in a run for the Diamondbacks, who have taken five in a row.
Roy Oswalt (0-4) departed with a leg injury after giving up a run on two hits while recording just five outs for the Rockies, losers in six of their last seven.
"We're banged up but a lot of teams are," said Colorado manger Walt Weiss. "Got to find a way to win games, that's the bottom line. Get an opportunity, got to take advantage of it.
Chavez began the home second with a double, moved up on a Cody Ross groundout and scored when Oswalt uncorked a wild pitch that also signaled his exit from the contest.
Arizona picked up three more runs in the third. Counterpart Edgmer Escalona walked Corbin, then allowed a single to Gerardo Parra before both came in on Hill's two-run double. Hill then stole third, but would have come in anyway after Goldschmidt roped a double to left for a 4-0 game.
It was 5-0 in the fifth as Hill doubled with one out, Goldschmidt was given a free pass and Chavez singled in Hill before being caught in a rundown.
Corbin aided his cause in the following frame, ripping a two-out double to right center which scored Cliff Pennington.
Herrera's first homer of the season in the eighth disrupted Corbin's shutout bid, but the young hurler shut down the next two batters to end his outing.
Arizona outscored Colorado by a 22-2 margin ... Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez left the game in the top of the ninth after suffering an injured finger on his right hand ... Ross and catcher Miguel Montero were the only D'backs starters not to record a hit ... The Diamondbacks have taken eight of 13 meetings over the Rox this season, including six of seven in Phoenix.
- Michael Cuddyer struck out swinging to end the game.
Jul 7 6:43 PM
- Jonathan Herrera one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Matt Belisle due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 6 Top 8, 1 OutJul 7 6:20 PM
- Patrick Corbin double to right scored Cliff Pennington with two out. Runner on second and Gerardo Parra due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 7 6:00 PM
- Eric Chavez single to right scored Aaron Hill with two out. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advanced to third as Eric Chavez was tug out trying to advance to second. Runner on third and Cody Ross due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 7 5:44 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to left scored Aaron Hill with none out. Runner on second and Eric Chavez due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 7 5:04 PM
- Aaron Hill double to left scored Patrick Corbin and Gerardo Parra with none out. Runner on second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 7 5:02 PM
- Eric Chavez scored on Roy Oswalt's wild pitch with two out. None on and Jason Kubel at the plate.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 7 4:43 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 4:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21