Greinke gets payback as Dodgers down D'backsJul 9, 2013 - 6:12 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - The last time Zack Greinke faced Arizona there was a brawl on the field at Dodger Stadium.
On Monday night, Greinke was focused and sharp on the mound and at the plate, helping Los Angeles to a 6-1 win over the NL West-leading Diamondbacks.
Greinke (7-2) yielded two hits and had seven strikeouts over seven shutout innings to win his fourth straight start and beat Arizona for the first time in his career (1-3). He also singled three times and scored once to boost the Dodgers to their seventh win in nine games.
Hanley Ramirez went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored and extended his career-high hitting streak to 19 games.
Andre Ethier also had three hits with an RBI and a run scored. A.J. Ellis knocked in two runs for the Dodgers, who opened a three-game series in Phoenix nearly four weeks since the teams were involved in a heated affair.
Five players were hit by pitches, six were ejected and five were suspended following the crazy June 11 game. Greinke was a key figure in the events of that night, as he hit Arizona catcher Miguel Montero as payback for the Diamondbacks hitting outfielder Yasiel Puig. Arizona starter Ian Kennedy, who will start Tuesday, then plunked Greinke up near the shoulder to set off a wild fracas.
The payback Greinke focused on was moving up in the standings. The Dodgers closed the gap to 3 1/2 games on the Diamondbacks.
"I just wanted to win a little more. That's also because they're in first place," Greinke said. "It's a big game because of that."
Arizona, which had a five-game winning streak broken, managed only four hits, two coming from Paul Goldschmidt.
Randall Delgado (1-3) allowed 11 hits and three runs over six innings.
"He didn't throw the ball bad at all," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "He had everything working."
Juan Uribe singled to center to drive in Ramirez in the fourth inning.
The Dodgers scored two more in the fifth and seventh for a 5-0 cushion. Adrian Gonzalez and Ramirez had RBI singles in the fifth. Puig, one of six Dodgers with at least two hits, scored the second run in the fifth.
Ethier doubled in a run in the seventh and scored on Ellis' single to right field. Ellis drove in the sixth run in the ninth with a fielder's choice.
Eric Chavez doubled in Goldschmidt in the bottom of the ninth.
The Dodgers made several roster moves before the game, including placing center fielder Matt Kemp on the 15-day disabled list Monday due to left AC joint inflammation. They also put right-handed pitcher Stephen Fife on the 15-day DL with right shoulder bursitis, recalled outfielder Scott Van Slyke from Triple-A Albuquerque and added right-handed pitcher Ricky Nolasco to the active roster. Nolasco, who was acquired from the Miami Marlins on Saturday, will start Tuesday's contest ... The Diamondbacks lost for just the second time in their last eight games against the Dodgers ... Arizona center fielder Gerardo Parra made a sliding over-the-shoulder catch at the warning track to rob Ellis of a hit in the sixth inning.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Jul 9 12:34 AM
- Eric Chavez double to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Martin Prado due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 9 12:32 AM
- A.J. Ellis fielder's choice to third scored Adrian Gonzalez with one out. Andre Ethier out at second, Hanley Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 0 Top 9, 1 OutJul 9 12:18 AM
- A.J. Ellis single to right scored Andre Ethier with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 5, Diamondbacks 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 8 11:38 PM
- Andre Ethier double to right center scored Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 8 11:37 PM
- Hanley Ramirez single to right scored Yasiel Puig with one out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third on Jason Kubel fielding error and Hanley Ramirez was thrown out at second trying to advance. Runner on third with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 8 11:00 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Zack Greinke with one out. On the play, Yasiel Puig advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 8 10:59 PM
- Juan Uribe single to center scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 8 10:40 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 8 9:40 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21