Moss' homer lifts A's over PiratesJul 10, 2013 - 6:42 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Brandon Moss' two-run home run backed a strong outing from Dan Straily as the Oakland Athletics took a 2-1 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates in the second of three from PNC Park.
Straily (6-2) gave up just two hits, one of which was a solo home run from Pedro Alvarez, and walked three while striking out seven over 6 1/3 innings to win his fifth straight decision.
"He was terrific again," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Straily. "Mixing his pitches well, actually threw some curveballs today that he normally doesn't throw and just had them off balance."
John Jaso had a hit and scored on Moss' home run to lead the Athletics in their third straight win and 10th in their last 13 outings.
Oakland is now 11-0 all-time against Pittsburgh.
Gerrit Cole (4-2) had a strong start spoiled as he gave up five hits, including the two-run home run, with two walks and four strikeouts in seven innings to drop his second straight start.
Starling Marte and Jose Tabata each had a hit for the Pirates, who tied a season-high with their fourth straight loss.
"When you don't score runs everything is always magnified in the game of baseball," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of his team's recent struggles.
The start of the game was delayed by close to two hours due to rain storms in the area.
When the contest finally got underway, Oakland loaded the bases with two outs in the first, but Jaso struck out to end the threat.
In the second, Alvarez led off the frame with his 23rd homer of the year, a blast into the bushes in center field for a 1-0 lead.
Oakland finally got on top in the fourth to take the lead. With two outs, Jaso punched a doubled to left field and Moss followed with his 16th homer of the campaign for a 2-1 advantage.
In the seventh, Alvarez led off with a walk and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt from Russell Martin. Sean Doolittle, though, took over and recorded the next two outs to get out of the frame.
Ryan Cook pitched a 1-2-3 eighth inning, and Grant Balfour worked a scoreless ninth for his 24th save of the season.
Balfour has converted all of his save opportunities this season ... Tommy Milone pitches for Oakland in the finale on Wednesday, while Francisco Liriano will go for his fourth straight win for the Pirates.
- OAKLAND: 2
Jul 9 11:15 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right scored John Jaso. Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 2, Pirates 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 9 9:45 PM
- Pedro Alvarez lead-off Home Run (23) to center. Russell Martin due up.
Athletics 0, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 9 9:15 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 9 8:48 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21