Dodgers ride Nolasco to another win over D'backsJul 10, 2013 - 6:37 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Ricky Nolasco pitched seven sharp innings in his Dodgers debut and had two hits and an RBI in a 6-1 win over the Diamondbacks.
Nolasco (6-8), who was acquired from the Miami Marlins on Saturday in exchange for three minor league pitchers, allowed four hits and a run. The right-hander also had five strikeouts and didn't walk a batter.
The Dodgers, who will go for the three-game sweep Wednesday night, won their fifth consecutive series to trim Arizona's lead to 2 1/2 games atop the NL West. The Dodgers are 11-2 in their last 13 games against NL West opponents and Los Angeles has picked up seven games in the standings since being a season-worst 9 1/2 games out of first place in the division on June 22.
"It's amazing. These guys have been playing great these last two, three weeks," Nolasco said. "Just to be a part of this is a huge privilege."
Adrian Gonzalez drove in three runs as the Dodgers earned their eighth win in 10 contests overall.
It was the second night the Dodgers had success at the plate from their starting pitcher. On Monday, Zack Greinke singled three times and scored once to boost the Dodgers to another 6-1 triumph.
Ian Kennedy (3-5) faced the Dodgers for the first time since their infamous brawl at Chavez Ravine on June 11. Kennedy, who was dealt a 10-game suspension, surrendered nine hits and six runs -- five earned -- over 5 2/3 innings. His night included plunking Hanley Ramirez on the left arm in the first inning.
Martin Prado drove in the lone run for the Diamondbacks, who entered this series on a five-game winning streak.
"We didn't swing the bats well and weren't able to make any adjustments," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "We can't swing at a pitch that is not in the zone, not a good pitch."
Nolasco, a native of southern California, gained his first strikeout in an LA uniform by fanning Gerardo Parra in the first inning. Two batters later, Aaron Hill went down swinging.
Nolasco's first at-bat for his new team resulted in an RBI. His sinking line drive dropped in front of a diving Parra in right field to plate A.J. Ellis in the second inning.
Andre Ethier scored on Skip Schumaker's groundout in the fourth in an inning helped by a throwing error on Miguel Montero.
The Dodgers tacked on two runs in the fifth thanks to a botched catch attempt from center fielder Adam Eaton, who was reinstated from the disabled list earlier in the day.
Nolasco doubled, Carl Crawford bunted for a hit and Yasiel Puig walked to fill the bases. Gonzalez then lofted a fly ball to center field. Eaton slipped on the warning track, stumbled to one knee and dropped the ball. Two runners came in, but Puig was thrown out at the plate.
Kennedy loaded the bases in the sixth, and Tony Sipp's first batter was Gonzalez, who singled to left for a 6-0 cushion.
Prado's base hit to right plated Hill in the seventh.
Ramirez went 0-for-4 and had his career-high 19-game hitting streak broken ... Nolasco moved to 7-2 lifetime against the Diamondbacks ... Arizona leads the season series, 7-4 ... Eric Chavez was scratched from the Arizona lineup with right hip stiffness ... To make room for Eaton on the roster, the Diamondbacks optioned pitcher Charles Brewer to Triple-A Reno ... Kennedy is winless in his last six starts.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Jul 10 12:38 AM
- Martin Prado single to right scored Aaron Hill with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 9 11:58 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to left scored Skip Schumaker and Carl Crawford with two out. On the play, Yasiel Puig advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 9 11:35 PM
- Adam Eaton fielding error scored Ricky Nolasco and Carl Crawford with none out. On the play, Yasiel Puig was thrown out at home. Runner on second with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 9 11:08 PM
- Skip Schumaker groundout to second scored Andre Ethier with two out. None on with two outs and Jerry Hairston due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 9 10:47 PM
- Ricky Nolasco single to right scored A.J. Ellis with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 9 10:08 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 9 9:41 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21