Angels use power surge to club CubsJul 11, 2013 - 5:26 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - One night after the Cubs went deep five times, Los Angeles turned the trick in a 13-2 victory over Chicago in the back end of a brief two-game interleague series.
Josh Hamilton slammed a pair of homers and drove in five, Albert Pujols and Brendan Harris each provided a two-run blast and Mark Trumbo added a solo shot for the Angels, who won for the fourth time in their last six.
"The last two or three weeks I've been swinging the bat a lot better," Hamilton said. "It feels good. End the first half strong and keep it going in the second half."
Mike Trout finished 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles, scored twice and drove in a run, while C.J. Wilson (9-6) allowed a run on four hits with six strikeouts over seven solid innings.
Cody Ransom picked up two hits, including a solo homer for the Cubs, whose four-game win streak came to a screeching halt. Anthony Rizzo had an RBI single in the rout.
Jeff Samardzija (5-9) lasted just 4 2/3 frames, touched for nine runs and as many hits with five strikeouts and two walks.
Chicago picked up a run in the fourth as Ransom stroked a leadoff double and scored on a Rizzo single, but the Halos struck back with six in the fifth to take an 11-1 advantage on a two-run blast by Pujols followed by a solo shot from Hamilton, a two-run homer from Harris and a bases-loaded walk to Pujols.
"Teams like that take advantage of you when you're not doing what you want to do," Samardzija said. "A lot of this game is rhythm and if can't get into a rhythm right out of the gates then you're going to be battling all game."
Los Angeles added single runs in the eighth and ninth on a Hamilton groundout and Erick Aybar's sacrifice fly.
Ransom's shot to left center in the bottom of the ninth capped the scoring.
The Angels broke out early, producing five runs in their first turn at the plate after an RBI double from Trout, three-run homer by Hamilton and a Trumbo solo blast.
The Angels improved to 7-10 in interleague play, while the Cubs fell to 13-7 ... Wilson has now held opponents to two runs or less in five of his last six outings ... Los Angeles clubbed five homers in the game for the 32nd time in team history ... The Halos reached double digits for the seventh time this season, while the Cubs allowed 10-or-more runs for the fifth time in 2013.
- LOS ANGELES: 13
Jul 10 11:13 PM
- Cody Ransom one-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Angels 13, Cubs 2 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 10 11:09 PM
- Erick Aybar sacrifice fly to right scored Brendan Harris. On the play, J.B. Shuck advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Brad Hawpe due up.
Angels 13, Cubs 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 10 11:01 PM
- Josh Hamilton ground out to first scored Collin Cowgill. None on with one out and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 12, Cubs 1 Top 8, 1 OutJul 10 10:39 PM
- Albert Pujols walked. C.J. Wilson scored on the play. Bases loaded with two out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 11, Cubs 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 10 9:53 PM
- Brendan Harris two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Hank Conger. C.J. Wilson due up.
Angels 10, Cubs 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 10 9:45 PM
- Josh Hamilton lead off Home Run 2 (14) to right. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 8, Cubs 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 10 9:35 PM
- Albert Pujols none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left center scored Mike Trout. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 7, Cubs 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 10 9:32 PM
- Anthony Rizzo single to center scored Cody Ransom. Runner on first with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Angels 5, Cubs 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 10 9:19 PM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Hank Conger due up.
Angels 5, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 10 8:18 PM
- Josh Hamilton none-out, three-run Home Run (13) to right center scored Mike Trout and Albert Pujols. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 10 8:16 PM
- Mike Trout double to third scored Erick Aybar. Runner on second with none out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 10 8:13 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 10 8:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21