Ellis and Dodgers beat up RockiesJul 12, 2013 - 6:01 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Ellis went 3-for-4 with four RBI and Chris Capuano spun 6 1/3 scoreless innings as the Los Angeles Dodgers downed the Colorado Rockies, 6-1, in the opener of a four-game set.
Capuano (3-6) scattered six hits and struck out eight without issuing a walk to pick up the win.
"I tried to throw down and finish the pitch. I tried to stay focused. Tonight was the best I have felt this season," said Capuano.
Jerry Hairston added two hits, an RBI and two runs scored and Andre Ethier drove in a run for the Dodgers, winners in five straight.
Yasiel Puig, who finished second in the National League All-Star Game Final Vote, went 2-for-4, but left the game in the eighth inning with hip discomfort.
Carlos Gonzalez hit a solo homer for the Rockies, losers in five of their last seven games.
Drew Pomeranz (0-3) gave up three runs on seven hits and five walks over four innings to absorb the loss.
"Drew started well, but ran into trouble. His stuff was fine, but he struggled with his command. We didn't play sharp tonight, no doubt about it," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss.
Troy Tulowitzki and Dexter Fowler, who were activated from the disabled list prior to the game, each went 0-for-4.
The Dodgers jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second inning. Juan Uribe singled then scored on Hairston's double to left field. Gonzalez's throw beat Uribe to the plate, but catcher Wilin Rosario was unable to hold on to the ball through the tag.
Drew Pomeranz issued three straight walks to open the fourth inning. After Capuano struck out, Ellis ripped a two-run single to left field to score Uribe and Hairston.
Los Angeles broke the game open with three runs in the eighth inning. With the bases loaded and no outs, Ellis smacked a two-run single to left field. Andre Ethier followed with a sacrifice fly to right field to make it 6-0.
Gonzalez opened the ninth inning with a homer, but Brandon League retired the next three hitters in order to nail down the win.
The Dodgers started the season just 9-23 against the NL West, but have gone 13-2 over their last 15 games against divisional foes ... The Dodgers are 16-3 since June 22 ... Carlos Gonzalez announced on Thursday that he would not participate in the 2013 Home Run Derby. He will be replaced by Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez ... Rockies outfielders Tyler Colvin and Corey Dickerson were optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- COLORADO: 1
LOS ANGELES: 6
Jul 12 1:25 AM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (25) to right. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 6 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 12 1:20 AM
- Andre Ethier sacrifice fly to right scored Carl Crawford. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 6 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 12 1:16 AM
- Mark Ellis single to left scored Jerry Hairston and Tim Federowicz. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to third and Mark Ellis advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with none out and Andre Ethier due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 12 1:12 AM
- Mark Ellis singled in Juan Uribe and Jerry Hairston with one out. On the play, Tim Federowicz out at third on the throw. Runner on first with two outs and Yasiel Puig due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 11 11:37 PM
- Jerry Hairston doubled in Juan Uribe with one out. Runner on second with Tim Federowicz due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 11 10:42 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 11 10:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22