Rockies blank DodgersJul 13, 2013 - 5:43 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Juan Nicasio spun seven shutout innings as the Colorado Rockies blanked the Los Angeles Dodgers, 3-0, in the second of a four-game set at Dodger Stadium.
Nicasio (5-4), who was recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs prior to the game, scattered three hits and one walk while striking out three to earn his first big league win since May 19.
DJ LeMahieu went 3-for-5 with an RBI and Troy Tulowitzki and Wilin Rosario each drove in a run for the Rockies, winners in three of their last five. Rafael Betancourt stranded a runner in the ninth and notched his 14th save of the season.
Clayton Kershaw (8-6) was tagged with the loss after giving up three runs on six hits with 10 strikeouts over seven frames.
Dodgers rookie Yasiel Puig left the game in the fourth inning with an apparent left hip injury.
Puig exited Thursday's 6-1 win in the eighth inning after experiencing discomfort in his hip, which he apparently injured after colliding with the right-field fence at Coors Field on July 3. He went 0-for-2 before leaving.
The Rockies jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Dexter Fowler and LeMahieu opened the game with back-to-back singles to put runners on the corners with no outs. After Carlos Gonzalez struck out, Tulowitzki lifted a sacrifice fly to center to score Fowler. Rosario followed with an RBI single to center to give Colorado a two-run edge.
The Rockies tacked on another run in the fifth. Nolan Arenado worked a leadoff walk then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. After Fowler struck out, LeMahieu laced a single to right field to plate Arenado.
Los Angeles put the leadoff runner on in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings, but were unable to break through.
After Andre Ethier opened the seventh with a single, Nicasio retired the next three hitters in order. Nick Punto walked in the eighth, but Jerry Hairston grounded into a double play and reliever Rex Brothers caught Scott Van Slyke looking to get out of the frame.
Adrian Gonzalez ripped a single in the ninth. After Betancourt was able to get the next two hitters to fly out, Gonzalez took second on a defensive indifference before moving to third on a wild pitch, but Betancourt was able to get A.J. Ellis to fly out to center to end the game.
Rockies All-Star left fielder Carlos Gonzalez went 0-for-4 with four strikeouts ... The Rockies were just 3-for-14 with runners in scoring position ... Rockies pitcher Drew Pomeranz, who took the loss on Thursday, was optioned to Colorado Springs prior to the game ... Seventy-four of Kershaw's 104 pitchers went for strikes ... Hanley Ramirez went 1-for-4 with a double ... The Dodgers were 0-for-5 with RISP.
- COLORADO: 3
LOS ANGELES: 0
Jul 13 1:25 AM
- DJ LeMahieu single to right scored Nolan Arenado with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 12 11:39 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to center scored DJ LeMahieu with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 12 10:22 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki sacrifice fly to center scored Dexter Fowler with two out. On the play, DJ LeMahieu advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 12 10:20 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 12 10:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22