Corbin leads D'backs past BrewersJul 13, 2013 - 6:40 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Patrick Corbin pitched into the seventh inning as the Arizona Diamondbacks took a 2-1 win over the Milwaukee Brewers.
Corbin (11-1) gave up just one run, but continually pitched out of trouble as he gave up seven hits and two walks over 6 2/3 innings for the Diamondbacks, who have won the first two contests of this four-game series.
Corbin also tied his career-high with 10 strikeouts, accomplished in his last start, Sunday against Colorado. The left-hander won his second straight start since suffering his only loss of the season July 2 in New York against the Mets.
"Corbin really had his pitches working for him tonight," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "He did a great job locating his fastball and was able to hit the corners with it. And the bullpen really did a good job for us out there tonight," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson.
Paul Goldschmidt drove in a run while Cody Ross and Adam Eaton each scored once.
Jean Segura had two hits and scored the only run for the Brewers, who have dropped their past three games. Tom Gorzelanny (1-3) allowed two unearned runs on just three hits and a walk with four strikeouts over six innings to drop his third straight decision.
Milwaukee worked a run across in the first inning as Segura hit a one-out single, moved to second on a sac bunt from Carlos Gomez and wound up crossing the plate thanks to two wild pitches from Corbin.
Arizona answered in the bottom half as Eaton singled and later moved all the way to third on a bad pickoff throw and scored on Goldschmidt's groundout.
In the second, Ross led off with a single and moved to second on a Martin Prado groundout. Later in the frame, Cliff Pennington hit a grounder to third that Yuniesky Betancourt misplayed and Ross came home to give Arizona a 2-1 lead.
Jonathan Lucroy led off the fourth with a double and moved to third on a wild pitch. Corbin, though, got Rickie Weeks to pop out, Sean Halton to fly out to shallow right and struck out Betancourt to end the frame.
Corbin stranded two more Brewers in the sixth and found himself in another jam in the seventh.
Betancourt led off with a double and the Brewers had runners at the corners after Logan Schafer followed with a single. Corbin then struck out pinch- hitter Khris Davis and got Norichika Aoki to pop out in the infield, but Segura worked a full count before getting a free pass.
That was it for Corbin's outing as Will Harris was summoned from the bullpen. He preserved the lead by striking out Gomez.
With J.J. Putz on the mound in the eighth, the Brewers again threatened as Weeks worked a one-out walk and Juan Francisco followed with a pinch-hit single. Putz then struck out Betancourt before handing the ball off to Tony Sipp, who walked Schafer to load the bases.
Heath Bell then took the mound to face pinch-hitter Martin Maldonado, who was able to punch a shallow fly to center that appeared to be headed for a hit, but A.J. Pollock came hustling in and made the diving catch to save the lead.
David Hernandez worked a 1-2-3 ninth inning to pick up his second save.
"When it rains, it pours," Lucroy said. "I feel like everything that can go wrong, does. We struggled getting runners in from third with less than two outs, and that's what beat us."
Milwaukee stranded 11 men on base after going 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Arizona has won all five games against Milwaukee this season ... Corbin made his first career start against Milwaukee on April 6 and won the game after giving up just two runs over six innings ... Gorzelanny fell to 3-2 lifetime against the Diamondbacks in 10 games (7 starts).
- MILWAUKEE: 1
Jul 13 12:43 AM
- Cliff Pennington reached second on Yuniesky Betancourt's fielding error scored Cody Ross with two out. Runner on second and Patrick Corbin due up.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 12 10:25 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt ground out third to first scored Adam Eaton with two out. None on and Aaron Hill due up.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 12 10:01 PM
- Jean Segura scored on a wild pitch by Patrick Corbin with two out. Jonathan Lucroy advances to third on Miguel Montero's throwing error. Runner on third and Rickie Weeks at the plate.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 12 9:51 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 12 9:40 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Wright swings away, gives Mets 5-4 comeback win over Brewers May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21