Marlins edge Nats in extrasJul 14, 2013 - 6:25 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Ed Lucas beat out a potential inning-ending double-play grounder to score Adeiny Hechavarria from third in the bottom of the 10th to cap a Miami Marlins' 2-1 comeback victory against the Washington Nationals.
Steve Cishek (3-4) was credited with the win for the Marlins. The right-hander pitched his way out of the 10th inning after putting runners on second and third with one out.
The Marlins loaded the bases on Craig Stammen (4-4) in the bottom half. Hechavarria grounded to third and reached second base on a throwing error by Nats third baseman Chad Tracy. Jeff Mathis then walked and Placido Polanco sacrificed the runners over to second and third. Stammen intentionally walked Justin Ruggiano to load the bases in hopes of turning a double play.
Lucas hit a grounder to Washington second baseman Steve Lombardozzi who got the runner out at second, but could not throw out the speedy Lucas out at first as Hechavarria crossed home plate to win the game.
Giancarlo Stanton hit a home run to left field off closer Rafael Soriano in the bottom of the ninth inning to tie the game at one a piece. It was Soriano's first blown save since May 21 against the San Francisco Giants.
"I never think homer," Stanton said. "You may swing harder in some counts, so whatever, whatever. But I had two strikes, so that was more, 'Get the barrel on the ball.' It was still a ball, but I got my hands to it. That's thing. If the ball is up and you get your hands to it, it's going to go if you get on top of it."
Dan Haren pitched six strong innings in his best outing of the season. The right-hander lost seven consecutive decisions in his last nine starts, but surrendered three hits with one walk, while striking out seven batters in a no-decision.
"I feel good, I kept the ball down. That's really been the key for me the last two starts, just really focusing on keeping the ball down," said Haren.
Ryan Zimmerman went 2-for-5 for the Nationals, who only have one victory six games into this seven-game road trip.
All-Star Jose Fernandez started the game for the Marlins. The right-hander gave up one run on four hits with three walks and four strikeouts. The only run he allowed in six innings of work came in the top of the fourth inning when a Jayson Werth sacrifice fly scored Bryce Harper.
Harper started off the inning by drawing a walk. Adam LaRoche singled to left moving Harper over to third base, and Werth hit a ball to center. The throw came home to Miami catcher Mathis, but Harper ran over him at the plate making the ball fly past his glove.
The Nationals threatened in the top of the 10th. but failed to convert with two runners in scoring position. Cishek struck out Scott Hairston and Zimmerman to end the inning.
Harper was ejected by home plate umpire Hunter Wendelstedt in the top of the eighth for arguing balls and strikes after striking out for the second time on the night. Hairston took his place in left field ... Prior to the contest, the Marlins placed pitcher Chad Qualls on the paternity list and recalled pitcher Tom Koehler from Triple-A New Orleans... This was Haren's second start since being reinstated from the DL on July 8... Fernandez became the youngest Marlin ever selected to an All-Star game, he will turn 21 on July 31.
- WASHINGTON: 1
Jul 13 10:45 PM
- Ed Lucas grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Adeiny Hechavarria to end the game.
Nationals 1, Marlins 2 Bot 10, 2 OutsJul 13 10:42 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton lead-off Home Run (10) to left center. Logan Morrison due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 13 10:12 PM
- Jayson Werth sacrifice fly to center scored Bryce Harper with two out. Runner on first and Steve Lombardozzi due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 13 8:24 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 13 7:16 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21