Cuddyer leads Rockies to win, split with DodgersJul 15, 2013 - 12:14 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Michael Cuddyer drove in all three of the Rockies' runs in a 3-1 win against the Dodgers and Colorado escaped Los Angeles with a split of a four-game series.
Cuddyer had two hits, including a two-run home run, for the Rockies, who finished 4-6 on a 10-game road trip.
Jhoulys Chacin (9-4) won for the sixth time in his last seven starts. He gave up one run on six hits and fanned six in as many innings.
"Instead of trying to strike guys out, I'm just trying to make my pitch," said Chacin. "I threw my sinker and slider pretty well. I'm happy we split here."
Ricky Nolasco (6-9), who was acquired from the Miami Marlins on July 6, took his first loss in Dodger Blue. Making his second start with Los Angeles and first at Dodger Stadium, he gave up three runs on eight hits in five innings.
"Ricky kept us in the game, he threw the ball fine, but Chacin had a lot of movement. We couldn't get the big hit," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
Adrian Gonzalez knocked in the only Dodgers run.
Colorado wasted little time taking a lead. Dexter Fowler started the game with a double and scored when Cuddyer lined a two-out single to right field.
The Rockies added to their lead in the fifth. Nolasco hit Carlos Gonzalez before Cuddyer crushed a hanging slider over the right-field fence for his 16th home run, giving Colorado a 3-0 lead.
Los Angeles got a run back in the bottom half. Pinch-hitter Yasiel Puig started a rally with a one-out single. Skip Schumaker followed with a base hit and, two batters later, Gonzalez lined a base hit to right to score Puig.
The Dodgers could not close the gap. Andre Ethier walker and Scott Van Slyke singled with one out in the sixth, but Chacin worked out of the jam, striking out Jerry Hairston and getting Puig to fly out.
Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle and Rafael Betancourt pitched a perfect seventh, eighth and ninth, respectively, to close out the game. With his spotless ninth, Betancourt earned his 15th save.
Chacin improved to 5-1 with a 1.95 earned run average (10 earned runs in 46 1/3 innings) over his last six starts ... Colorado pitchers retired the final 11 Dodgers to end the game ... Despite the loss, the Dodgers won 17 of their last 22 games heading into the All-Star Break and have not lost any of their last eight series ... 206,930 fans attended the four-game series, fifth- largest crowd in Dodger Stadium history.
- COLORADO: 3
LOS ANGELES: 1
Jul 14 7:27 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Yasiel Puig with two out. On the play, Skip Schumaker advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 14 5:52 PM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right scored Carlos Gonzalez. Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 14 5:32 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to center scored Dexter Fowler with two out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 14 4:23 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 4:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22